Anybody chase trophy bass in farm ponds?

oracle

6 pointer
May 25, 2009
My favorite bait for pond bass, if you're not against using live bait, is a live night crawler. No sinker, #6 or #4 hook, hook the crawler through the head once and let the rest dangle, cast out and let the crawler slowly sink to the bottom, after crawler hits bottom reel in and cast again- don't work it back in or the bluegill will peck the crawler off. If a bluegill or small bass bites part of the crawler off, put a new crawler on - big bass don't seem to bite a part of crawler very much at all. The bottom line is that your presentation is a live crawler hitting the water and slowly sinking to the bottom. Yes you will need a bunch of crawlers because of bluegill and other smaller fish tearing at the crawlers, but, this technique will pay off.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
most exciting fish I ever caught was a 5 lb bass on ultra light pole with 4lb test. took over 30 minutes to get him in along with some crazy running around the pond to try to keep him out of brush piles. Probably ran a mile seamed like back and forth trying to keep enough tension to keep him out of the brush but not to much to break the line. caught him on a small crappie jig I was tossing for smaller bass. got him to the bank and the line snapped as I drug him on shore grabbed him up real quick.

JHUBB

Spike
Sep 18, 2012
bass.jpg

Dates wrong caught this at a farm pond on a hula popper. 8 lb 10 oz

dad.jpg

This one was bigger that dad caught, it was the reason we bought the scale that we weighed the first fish with.

Gun7alk

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2013
No luck on the big ones yet, I've fished quite a few ponds on the nice days and they've been a lot more active it seems.

I did get this trophy though. Here's my five year old niece with her first bass.

2z3t2d2.jpg

kyhunter110

8 pointer
Apr 6, 2006
Lexington
Sorry for the bad pics, but they were biting pretty good today. Caught 4 all around the same size. 2 lbs or so. They were absolutely hammering this baby 1 minus though.
e3aduby2.jpg
9amatyvu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captain71

10 pointer
Nov 3, 2011
Western Ky
Around here I'm not catching much. The ones I'm catching are small same with the crappie. What you all catching them on. I guess every pond is going to be different.

dxtsniper

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2009
Turn around!
My favorite bait for pond bass, if you're not against using live bait, is a live night crawler. No sinker, #6 or #4 hook, hook the crawler through the head once and let the rest dangle, cast out and let the crawler slowly sink to the bottom, after crawler hits bottom reel in and cast again- don't work it back in or the bluegill will peck the crawler off. If a bluegill or small bass bites part of the crawler off, put a new crawler on - big bass don't seem to bite a part of crawler very much at all. The bottom line is that your presentation is a live crawler hitting the water and slowly sinking to the bottom. Yes you will need a bunch of crawlers because of bluegill and other smaller fish tearing at the crawlers, but, this technique will pay off.

Hooked a nice 2.5-3lber last summer with a nightcrawler hooked like you wrote. I had thrown it out and was helping my son bait and unhook the sunfish he was catching when I noticed my line take off. I fought the fish for a few minutes and a couple jumps but it broke the line after I handed the rod to my son to reel him in. Fun memory for sure though.
For artificial baits in ponds my favorite is a sluggo type soft stick bait that can be fished anyway they like. I like to kill it mid way in on a retrieve and let it just fall and sit for a minute or so.

KYTroutJunkie

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2014
Whitley County
Crawfish 064.JPG

2" rebel baby bass crank, or yo-zuri snap bean silver with blue back. F &F 1/32 oz jig w/ waxie, crappie size rubber swimbait, strike king mini king spinnerbait, single colorado firetiger or black and blue, strike king triple buzzbait in the evening.

Last edited:

Latest posts