Anyone have a source for reasonably priced fruit tree seedlings?

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Would like ot plant some apples, pears, etc out at our farm. For the critters, not us so don't have to be named varieties.

If you can find some old apple tree that isn't a Grafted tree, you can find suckers coming up from the Roots. It doesn't take too much of a root ball to get them to live.
I don't know if you can find one or not but it works. Just ask @barney.
Or he can show you how to graft cuttings.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
If you can find some old apple tree that isn't a Grafted tree, you can find suckers coming up from the Roots. It doesn't take too much of a root ball to get them to live.
I don't know if you can find one or not but it works. Just ask @barney.
Or he can show you how to graft cuttings.
Seeds from store bought apples covered with some mulch outside will stratify over the winter and germinate come spring. If cared for they can start producing fruit in 5 to 6 years, or they can be grafted in the spring of 2022. Really frugal way to get apple trees. No tellin what the fruit from seedlings will be but deer don't care!

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Explain the mulch bed @barney Sounds like a cool little experiment for me and the boys.
Just make a little bed on the ground or use a container, then place apple seeds in and cover with a couple inches of mulch. Mulch meaning any soil that holds moisture but won't compact. Potting soil, the dark soil from the woods etc.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Curious as well......can I put the seeds in an old flower pot with mulch covering them? Is a couple inches enough?
Yes. Just leave it outside where it gets weather. If you get it done right away, the seeds should start germinating around March.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
You might try a tractor supply close to you . I was looking at trees a month ago and thought "if I only had some extra cash" . They were Honey crisp . Cortland , Gala , Chest nut , Pecan , and several other varieties along with some grape vines. Most was running $27 to $34 per tree and vines was around $13

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Plant the seeds about 2 inches apart. Just let them grow next year without any care except for water if they need it. In the spring of 2022 they should be transplanted in a row and spaced about a foot apart. Fertilization should begin as well.

In 2023 or 24 the trees should be around 3 feet tall and should be planted in their permanent spots. They will grow fast at this point with a little fertilizer sprinkled around them each spring.

Latest posts