Anyone have a source for reasonably priced fruit tree seedlings?

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Plant the seeds about 2 inches apart. Just let them grow next year without any care except for water if they need it. In the spring of 2022 they should be transplanted in a row and spaced about a foot apart. Fertilization should begin as well.

In 2023 or 24 the trees should be around 3 feet tall and should be planted in their permanent spots. They will grow fast at this point with a little fertilizer sprinkled around them each spring.
That's similiar to what I did for some of my Hickory trees. I planted the large nuts about a Foot apart in the Fall and transplanted them the next Fall or Spring. Some did not come up until the second year.
I also tried planting the last batch in the permanent spot. I found out the hard way that you need to plant 3 and maybe put a piece of Rat Wire on top to keep the Squirrels from digging them up.
They are doing well but I got it figured out too late; doubt if I ever see any nuts on them. I have some about 12 years old but they got stunted bad.

These are about 10 years old.

Here's the reason we have NO mast this year. Same trees as other photo.

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
That's similiar to what I did for some of my Hickory trees. I planted the large nuts about a Foot apart in the Fall and transplanted them the next Fall or Spring. Some did not come up until the second year.
I also tried planting the last batch in the permanent spot. I found out the hard way that you need to plant 3 and maybe put a piece of Rat Wire on top to keep the Squirrels from digging them up.
They are doing well but I got it figured out too late; doubt if I ever see any nuts on them. I have some about 12 years old but they got stunted bad.
Hickorys grow slow, that's for sure. I kept track of a walnut once from sprout to producing. If I remember correctly it was 12 years until the first 3 nuts.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
When the original owner built this house, they stole the topsoil for the yard off the Chestnut Oaks in the lower end of the yard. House was 9 when I bought it and I can tell what they did cause those oaks are dying off. You can't take the topsoil off a mature tree like that and it live. I'm going to take those trees out this winter and grind the stumps. Then I'm going to put a small orchard in there with apple, peach, persimmon and dogwood (for the wife). I'm going to fence them off to keep the deer and rabbits out of them til they can get some age. Then I'll take the fencing down and share with the deer. Maybe some treestand snacks and pies and cobblers for us and some bonus grub for the critters. Yard is sanctuary for the deer, momma's rules, though one young buck almost got is butt shot. She wanted a live Xmas tree one year, and after that Xmas in the spring, we planted it in the front yard. It grew prolly 2' that first year and that fall she was putting her makeup on to go to work (her makeup table is at the alcove window) and she looked out the window to see this buck rubbing up her Xmas tree. :) He stunted it a bit but it's growing again! :)

turkeyhunter91

12 pointer
Apr 3, 2007
i bought some trees from a guy close to Cincinnati this fall. i cant remember the price on everything but i got persimmon, apple,crab apple, plum and chestnuts, i picked up the tubes,fertilize packets and everything from him. his business name is hunt ready farms. he was very knowledgeable and seemed to try and have good healthy trees. if your interested i can get you his number.

Buckkillr

6 pointer
Dec 15, 2019
Ohio
I planted 6 dwarf trees 4-5 years ago. 3 apple, 2 pear and a peach of some kind and not a single fruit has grown on any of them. Anything I can do to promote them to grow fruit?

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
I planted 6 dwarf trees 4-5 years ago. 3 apple, 2 pear and a peach of some kind and not a single fruit has grown on any of them. Anything I can do to promote them to grow fruit?
Trim some limbs, and throw a few handfuls of fertilizer around em.

Latest posts