Anyone own a Kimber Ascent?

mac0492

8 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
I bought a Kimber hunter pro model in 308 from Cabelas a couple years ago and absolutely hated the light weight rifle. I thought I would love it since I was hunting a lot of steep hills outside of Burkesville at the time, but not the case. It was so light I couldn’t hold it steady unsupported. I’ve since traded it off and went back to carrying my Rem 700 in 308 with heavy barrel. Just gotta eat an extra tenderloin biscuit for breakfast to be able to carry the extra weight.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Two years ago I had made a deal with a guy in Lexington on purchasing a Kimber hunter .243 rifle For my woman. After spending 3 hours in Bud’s parking lot waiting on him turned out to be some type of scam deal but almost happy that it did not go through as in doing further research people don’t seem to like their accuracy after two or three shots Your groups really open up due to light weight barrel

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
On top of a hill in Ky
Two years ago I had made a deal with a guy in Lexington on purchasing a Kimber hunter .243 rifle For my woman. After spending 3 hours in Bud’s parking lot waiting on him turned out to be some type of scam deal but almost happy that it did not go through as in doing further research people don’t seem to like their accuracy after two or three shots Your groups really open up due to light weight barrel
That is a problem with light barrels. But, if this is a hunting rifle. What’s the odds that you are going to crank off 3-4 rapid fire shots, long range, at a deer? What matters is cold bore shots going where they are aimed.

Blackdog85

6 pointer
Oct 28, 2014
I owned a mountain ascent in 308. It was light which made it nice to carry but not fun to shoot. The accuracy did not impress me. I tried 4 different factory loaded brands and 1.8 moa was the best I could ever get it to do. It would kill a deer but for the price of those rifles it should have done better. My tikkas at half the price shoot circles around what the kimber would do and the action runs way smoother on the tikkas. Save your money and buy a tikka, you will not be disappointed.

DBNF HNTR

Spike
Nov 10, 2018
Rowan Co, KY
Had a Kimber Montana (new) in 270 and later a Kimber Montana in 308, I got it used. Sweet looking little rifles that packed like a dream but I have to agree it’s what others have said; the light weight and balance point of the rifle made it difficult to steady so you’ll definitely want to use some artificial support or a military loop sling to steady it. The 270 was a sub 1” to 1.25 rifle with handloads but the 308 accuracy was not great, 1.5-2.0 range with factory ammo. Didn’t get it much better with a 125 NBT load either.
I also hunt really steep and rough country walking in a mile or more and climbing something nasty for 4-500’ up. I’ve had a quest for a lightweight rifle for years, also trying Featherweight Winchesters, 700 Mountain Rifles, Tikka T3X, Model Seven, and even had a couple actions barreled. The Kimbers were hard to steady, the Rems balance point was too far back. I didn’t want a 7 lb+ rifle that would be over 8 lbs with sling and scope and didn’t want one too light it was flighty. Last year I think I finally found the sweet spot and one that works for me at least in the Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle 2.0. 6.2 lbs, 22” barrel, AG composites stock, Triggertech trigger, cerakoted in sniper gray from the factory, better accuracy, good balance point. I wanted a 308 initially but decided to go with a 6.5 CM. I use this as an “in the timber” rifle where an average shot is under 100 yards. I reckoned the lighter cartridge would help mitigate recoil in a lighter rig, and deliver enough energy on target at those ranges to produce the results I wanted. It’s easy to pack, points well, soft shooting. I’m always using artificial support whether tree stand rails or sticks etc. I got a Kifaru gun bearer for my pack that lets you walk with your hands free and you hardly know it’s there. I’m going to work up a load in the 120-130 gr range for it. To tell you the truth, I still wish it was a 308 though. It’s right at 7 lbs with a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 and sling. It is right in the sweet spot for me. It’s worth considering

RRK

Spike
Feb 7, 2021
KY
I have a 300yd range here behind my shop and see a lot of rifles shot here. For what they cost the Kimber's is the most unimpressive rifle's I have seen. I have a friend with three of them and he will be the first to admit they don't shoot that well but he loves the wood on them. The Tikka's is one of the best factory rifles I have ever shot. There is some things I would change about the Tikka but it damn sure wouldn't be the accuracy or there trigger!

Timp2

6 pointer
May 2, 2005
If you go Tikka check out the $40 vertical grip upgrade they sell for the stock. Made a big difference to me for the one I recently got.

RRK

Spike
Feb 7, 2021
KY
Forgot I had this on my phone, before the KY, deer season came in a friend of mine and his son came over to the shop to sight his new Tikka in. He is 10yrs old but has been shooting 22's since he was about 5,the last 3 years he has been deer hunting with a 223 with some of our handloads. This year he got a a new Tikka 20" barrel compact in 243 we did a barrel break in on it, then handloaded 5, 80gr Barnes TTSX in front of some IMR 4064 powder. Put a new target up at a 100yds his 1st shot was 2" left 1" low, he dialed 8 clicks over, 4 clicks up the next 4 shots is in the pic. This kid is just a natural at shooting whether it's in a dove field or a deer blind. He ask me if I would like to shoot it, I said there is no way I am following that group!! As I said in another post I have seen several shot here at the shop or have shot them myself and them Tikka's is a fine factory rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts