Barnes bullets

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I use the 110 grain in my .270WSM. They shoot better than anything else I've tried in that gun (Browning BAR). I've shot about a dozen deer with them, and it really wrecks them, as any magnum should. Rib shots pass thru and leave a softball hole, shoulder and straight on shots have never passed thru. But, this is with the little 110 grain. I'm sure 130s would zip thru every time, but I don't mind the deer tryin to use up all that energy in their chest

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Been shooting some 140 in 7 mag going to try some 150 and see how they group wanting heavier for longer shots to retain there energy at longer distances.
I've read to use lighter speed opens them up but the lighter bullets will be slower after a few hundred yrds.
Thanks

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Been shooting some 140 in 7 mag going to try some 150 and see how they group wanting heavier for longer shots to retain there energy at longer distances.
I've read to use lighter speed opens them up but the lighter bullets will be slower after a few hundred yrds.
Thanks
You are shooting deer, right??

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Have used them. Too much distance and not enough velocity they won't open good. Very accurate, always a pass through. My experience all the energy ends up in the dirt/rocks behind your target. Once i shoot up what i have loaded for my 358 STA, I'm done with em unless im hunting in a state that's outlawed lead. I did send a 225 gr x bullet through a bisons butt and out his neck at 75 yds. @ 3100 fps at the muzzle. Travel 7' through the bison.
Look at the hornady eldx bullets.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Where are you shooting over a couple hundred that the fps actually matters? Considering you need hardly any to poke through a deer.
I have places that 600 plus yrds would be avaliable but I wouldn't take one, just wanting opinions on those bullets as finding bullets for 7mm are hard to come by.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Have used them. Too much distance and not enough velocity they won't open good. Very accurate, always a pass through. My experience all the energy ends up in the dirt/rocks behind your target. Once i shoot up what i have loaded for my 358 STA, I'm done with em unless im hunting in a state that's outlawed lead. I did send a 225 gr x bullet through a bisons butt and out his neck at 75 yds. @ 3100 fps at the muzzle. Travel 7' through the bison.
Look at the hornady eldx bullets.
I have a box of those I just got in very mixed reviews on them, I believe in the very near future we will have to use solid coppers just like California by the time Biden is done.
What's your take on the eld-x bullets?
I have read there thin copper and can explode on impact at close range.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I’ve used them on elk and deer with excellent results. I like them. Copper bullets need higher velocity for expansion compared to cup and core so many folks who use them opt for less bullet weight when using copper. If you’re into reloading and are looking for an all metal bullet, check out Hammer bullets. Lead free will penetrate like gangbusters but it doesn’t take much to shoot thru a deer so one might say that they are overkill. Like I say, I like them based on my experience but I really like Nosler Accubonds as well.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I have a box of those I just got in very mixed reviews on them, I believe in the very near future we will have to use solid coppers just like California by the time Biden is done.
What's your take on the eld-x bullets?
I have read there thin copper and can explode on impact at close range.
I've not personally shot an animal with the eldx.....yet. Have some ready to go this year. Buddies out west that have used em, or seen them used have been impressed. I'm sure 100 in they'd detonate like a ballistic tip or berger at high velocity but internals would be jello. I have some 162 and/or 168 accubonds (and other brands) for my 280 AI I'd sell you if you need some. I'd just have to find them (buried in moving boxes in three different locations).

Oct 9, 2016
BG, ky
Bonded solid bullets like Barnes tsx,ttsxand Speer gold dot need as much fps as possible for max expansion. Soft point need slower impact to
To perform or they’ll blow apart at higher velocities. 20yrs hand loading experience testing loads and catching bullets at 100-250yds. Can’t post pics says files to large

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I've not personally shot an animal with the eldx.....yet. Have some ready to go this year. Buddies out west that have used em, or seen them used have been impressed. I'm sure 100 in they'd detonate like a ballistic tip or berger at high velocity but internals would be jello. I have some 162 and/or 168 accubonds (and other brands) for my 280 AI I'd sell you if you need some. I'd just have to find them (buried in moving boxes in three different locations).

I would be interested in some of them see what you got and let me know.
Thanks