barney's Cheap Eatin' Thread

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
No sink to wash dishes either. No kitchen table either
Up until I was 18 years old I drew water from a well pump for my mother. A bucket sat on the table with a dipper in it for drinking.
We had a wash pan we used to take baths with. Mom had dish pans that she did dishes in.
No sink, no inside plumbing. Outback shack to do number two in.
Old ringer washer sit in the meat house just out the back door. . Packed water from the well or rain barrels to fill the washer.
If I had a dollar for every gallon of water I packed I would be rich.

Oh, that clothes dryer was something and occasionally broke down when one of us kids ran into it or tried to swing on it.
That dryer was as Earth friendly green as any could be. It was simple and did not use electric or gas. It just used two wires connected to two trees and you took these little things called clothes pins and placed your clothes on that line. On a sunny day they would dry in no time.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Up until I was 18 years old I drew water from a well pump for my mother. A bucket sat on the table with a dipper in it for drinking.
We had a wash pan we used to take baths with. Mom had dish pans that she did dishes in.
Old ringer washer sit in the meat house just out the back door. . Packed water from the well or rain barrels to fill the washer.

Oh, that clothes dryer was something and occasionally broke down when one of us kids ran into it or tried to swing on it.
That dryer was as Earth friendly green as any could be. It was simple and did not use electric or gas. It just used two wires connected to two trees and you took these little things called clothes pins and placed your clothes on that line. On a sunny day they would dry in no time.

Were we Brothers? We grew up in the same house.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012

Ditto until I was going into my freshman year of HS. Then we tore the old house down and brought in a fancy double wide. Parents live in that same DW that probably should be condemned but they could care less as long as people leave them alone. We did at least have electricity and momma could get it done around the stove. I’d say plenty of good country folk on here could share similar stories.

Nock

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
We had a big fish fry for my guys at the plant today. Couple of my big blue cats from last year, fried new potatoes, onion rings, fried squash, tater salad, and slaw. We weren't worth a damn after dinner.
I was reminded that it's alot like work, cooking for a dozen men
View attachment 102147
I picked up one of those .99 butts for mine next week one day.

Nock

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
17859349-CF3A-44C4-B16F-BA9ACD0FDA6B.jpeg

Might as well enjoy a day off in style.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.

We did until I was in high school ,and was happy, didn’t have the internet,to tell us how depressed and sad we were, we actually thought for ourselves.

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
We did the same thing today. Mine are washed, dried and in the freezer on cookie sheets. I'll vacuum seal the little marbles tomorrow.
We just took the first round out of the freezer and bagged up the marbles lol. We will put these in to freeze tomorrow. Right now we are working up 25# of sausage for the freezer. I ordered some Leggs seasoning since it was recommended here, I'm sure it will be fantastic.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
We just took the first round out of the freezer and bagged up the marbles lol. We will put these in to freeze tomorrow. Right now we are working up 25# of sausage for the freezer. I ordered some Leggs seasoning since it was recommended here, I'm sure it will be fantastic.
I don't know if you ever go to Morehead but the IGA there has packs of Leggs on the shelf at the meat department.
They also carry Leggs BBQ rub.

Latest posts