Sep 9, 2012
Butler co
DB70769C-4736-4EC7-83AA-3A8533AACEA3.jpeg

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Dang them mater's look good Barney!
Thanks!
After decades of tracking down, searching for, and growing at least a 100 different varieties of the highest ranking and most delicious maters ever known to man; that luscious pink fruit in the pics just may be the most delectable of the lot!

Suddeth's Brandywine has remained in my top spot for flavor a lot of years but this one is more productive with deeper more heart shaped fruit with an almost seedless, sweet, juicy, and spicy flesh. It's knocking on the Brandywine's door HARD!

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
Breakfast

Dinner
Notice there aint no lunch picture? Normal fella would not have woke up for lunch after that breakfast.

Now maybe when Barney says "dinner" he means "lunch"? I always called evening meal "supper" or " dinner '. It can get confusing. I know Sunday dinner is right after morning church. But I hear folks asking what's for dinner every evening. Ive come to think "dinner" is right for just a big meal anytime, noon or evenin'. And lunch is lunch and supper is supper too.

Now to the real question: is that quince jelly there on that biscuit. Mighty light in color. Got me puzzled

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Notice there aint no lunch picture? Normal fella would not have woke up for lunch after that breakfast.

Now maybe when Barney says "dinner" he means "lunch"? I always called evening meal "supper" or " dinner '. It can get confusing. I know Sunday dinner is right after morning church. But I hear folks asking what's for dinner every evening. Ive come to think "dinner" is right for just a big meal anytime, noon or evenin'. And lunch is lunch and supper is supper too.

Now to the real question: is that quince jelly there on that biscuit. Mighty light in color. Got me puzzled
I grew up with breakfast dinner and supper, started hearing the word lunch replacing the word dinner when I started school. Before I started school, lunch referred to a midday snack before a big supper.

That is apple jelly on the biscuit. Only 2 ingredients, June apple juice and pure cane sugar.

I grew up with breakfast dinner and supper, started hearing the word lunch replacing the word dinner when I started school. Before I started school, lunch referred to a midday snack before a big supper.

That is apple jelly on the biscuit. Only 2 ingredients, June apple juice and pure cane sugar.
Breakfast, dinner and supper here in Calloway County except for school ha.

What brand of tomato is that pink one you said knocking on door of Brandywine? BTW, those Fabulous are fabulous!

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Breakfast, dinner and supper here in Calloway County except for school ha.

What brand of tomato is that pink one you said knocking on door of Brandywine? BTW, those Fabulous are fabulous!
Thanks!
It's a pink one a buddy gave me years ago and I misplaced the seeds in the freezer only to find it 3 years ago. I've grown it every year since!

My buddy brought me a single fruit to save for seed telling me that they were the best he had ever tried... he wasn't wrong! It's not hardly as spicy as the Brandywine's, but it makes up for that in every other way.
Here's some pics from last year.

20% of the seed I saved from the original single fruit produced similar juicy delicious red fruit. Those maters at the top are the red ones.

Here's a box of the reds.

The red ones were just as special as the pinks, so spring of 2021 I decided to sow original sample seed and save the seed from the pink side as well as the red side to see if I could separate em into separate varieties. This spring I planted both to see what would happen. I'm just now learning by looking at plants and fruit that the red ones in the original sample were actually a wonderful hybrid created when a stray grain of pollen from some red variety pollinated one of the ovules in the original fruit. The plants size and fruit size of the red side is all over the board, and doubt I will continue with it.
Some more pics of this mater from last year.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Every time I hear y'all talk bout the 1.99 briskets, we go to Kroger but they never have em at 1.99. Even asked. Boo!

So @barney what are your two favorites to grow for flavor?
For just pure old fashioned mater flavor I like the pink one above and Suddeth's Brandywine which is also a pink. Brandywine had been my favorite for years until this one came along.

Thanks!
It's a pink one a buddy gave me years ago and I misplaced the seeds in the freezer only to find it 3 years ago. I've grown it every year since!

My buddy brought me a single fruit to save for seed telling me that they were the best he had ever tried... he wasn't wrong! It's not hardly as spicy as the Brandywine's, but it makes up for that in every other way.
Here's some pics from last year.

20% of the seed I saved from the original single fruit produced similar juicy delicious red fruit. Those maters at the top are the red ones.

Here's a box of the reds.

The red ones were just as special as the pinks, so spring of 2021 I decided to sow original sample seed and save the seed from the pink side as well as the red side to see if I could separate em into separate varieties. This spring I planted both to see what would happen. I'm just now learning by looking at plants and fruit that the red ones in the original sample were actually a wonderful hybrid created when a stray grain of pollen from some red variety pollinated one of the ovules in the original fruit. The plants size and fruit size of the red side is all over the board, and doubt I will continue with it.
Some more pics of this mater from last year.

Be nice if you could isolate the pollen and do some backcrossing to get some true breeding stock but that would be difficult to do with a self pollinating species like tomatoes I reckon.