Barrel lapping

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I have no helpful information but I guess this means the testing at mt pokt farm revealed some problems?
Yes it shot good first 3 or 4 rounds, after that it had some flyers we let it cool for awhile and it just wasn't grouping at all.
Fired 14 shots threw it and the rifling look like a gold pan on gold rush with the copper in them, brought it home and took a hour and a half to clean the copper out.
Going to call Browning tomorrow see what they say a 1,200 dollar gun shouldn't be having issues like this.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Buy one of those Kits of several abrasive bullets and try that. I had a Copper miner once and I cured it with JB bore paste and a lot of cleaning.
A lot of new rifles are like That, at least you know it MAY shoot if it started off well.

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
What rifle do you have? Did you go thru any barrel break in process? Are you sure you just haven’t found a load it likes after the copper removal? My apologies if these questions are answered elsewhere.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Browning xbolt 7mm rem mag I've tried 5 different powder 7 different bullets on the lands off the land's, cleaned shot it cleaned it I'd everything right installed a new trigger spring trigger is 2 1/2 lbs zero creap, checked scope mounts.
It will shoot first 6-7 shots pretty good then goes to he'll and rifling turn into copper gutters.
used a lead sled bought a bench rest front and rear bag.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Browning xbolt 7mm rem mag I've tried 5 different powder 7 different bullets on the lands off the land's, cleaned shot it cleaned it I'd everything right installed a new trigger spring trigger is 2 1/2 lbs zero creap, checked scope mounts.
It will shoot first 6-7 shots pretty good then goes to he'll and rifling turn into copper gutters.
used a lead sled bought a bench rest front and rear bag.
Danny, IF... you don't get better results soon, I would TRADE off that Rifle ASAP. Life is too short to mess with Finicky Rifles that have Problems like that. You might check the Barrel with a bore scope. I had a hi Dollar top of the line Remington 700 that I scoped and the rifling was a total mess. I rebareled it with a Lilja custom barrel.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Good luck with it. I’ve fought some. I returned a brand new Winchester that was stringing 8” at 100yds after it fouled.

Lately some terrible stuff has been kicked out of the factories. If you take too much off the rifling that opens up a world of hurt as well.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Anyone lapped a barrel? Specifically fire lapped one?
I have, I used a lapping compound coated bullets. Usually takes around 4 - 6 shots, with bore cleaning after each shot. You can buy coated bullets from Midway or Midsouth Shooters. You don't really hear, that much, regarding fire lapping, or using a cleaning rod with patch coated with compound. I've used extra-fine #0000 steel wool to condition a rifle barrel, and it's about as good as the lapping compound or coated bullets.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
First group I shot with it was 1/2 " 5 shot group cleaned it and waited to get some reloading supplys.
A few months later I got everything together and started trying to find a load with heavier bullets and started shooting it, the first 6-8 rounds shot very good but then it started opening up the trigger was way to heavy I thought was the problem so I changed the trigger spring to 2 1/2 lbs the first few shot were good then it went south so I figured the barrel must be getting hot even though I was babying it, I cleaned it after ever session and never shot it more than 20 times but the groups always got bigger it would hit dead on the first shot everytime.
Now I think I have it figured out I shot it one time tonight and looked in the end of the barrel and it's loaded with copper after just one round.
I had just cleaned it with hopes black copper remover and then polished it with flitz and Kroll oil it was spotless before I shot it, took me 45 min to clean the copper out again.

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
David Tubb sells the Final Finish system for this type of issue. It works, but follow the directions to the letter, don't skip a step to try and do it faster. However, remember, this is a factory barrel and sometimes you get a POS. If you decide to try the fire lapping, you WILL void the warranty on this entire firearm..so go into it knowing that at that point, it's your rifle. I have a decent bore scope, if you're close to Richmond we can have a look at the bore and see whats going on.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
David Tubb sells the Final Finish system for this type of issue. It works, but follow the directions to the letter, don't skip a step to try and do it faster. However, remember, this is a factory barrel and sometimes you get a POS. If you decide to try the fire lapping, you WILL void the warranty on this entire firearm..so go into it knowing that at that point, it's your rifle. I have a decent bore scope, if you're close to Richmond we can have a look at the bore and see whats going on.
Thanks for the offer but I'm a few hrs away, almost done fire lapping I just have to shoot the last 10 rounds to add the final finish, I must say after cleaning 30 rounds I still had one land's at the end of the barrel holding copper bad still.
I shot 10 more and cleaned not any copper to be found and the bore looks like a shiny chrome bumper inside!
Will shoot the last 10 tomorrow and clean then I will get to see if it shoots or not.

Latest posts