Beef

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Just talked to my co-worker next to me. He raises his own cows for slaughter. 8 month wait time. He does not age his...gets it back the following week.

He bought a side last year though and it was $861 for everything including butcher fee of $260. 800 pound cow

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Its high price for all except the farmer who puts in all the time and hard work to get them ready for slauter. We took several loads to stockyard last month, two top bulls money wise was 1085 lbs @ $1036 and 486 lbs @ $965. We just held onto everything last year because price wasn't right and have decided now to sell them small. No point in keeping them to grow another 550 lbs to earn just $120 more.

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
Its high price for all except the farmer who puts in all the time and hard work to get them ready for slauter. We took several loads to stockyard last month, two top bulls money wise was 1085 lbs @ $1036 and 486 lbs @ $965. We just held onto everything last year because price wasn't right and have decided now to sell them small. No point in keeping them to grow another 550 lbs to earn just $120 more.
Those larger bulls just don't sell very good. They would have sold better if they were steers.

Make any difference? I assume hide on

The best deer I ever had in my life was an older buck that hung 2 weeks, hide on, during the polar vortex years, never had venison that tender or non-gamey in my life. Blew away any young early bow season doe I’d have to dress immediately. Of course it was handled with care throughout field dressing which matters. Meat cutter I know says 21 days @38 degrees F is the sweet spot for beef, I’d figure venison is about the same.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
The best deer I ever had in my life was an older buck that hung 2 weeks, hide on, during the polar vortex years, never had venison that tender or non-gamey in my life. Blew away any young early bow season doe I’d have to dress immediately. Of course it was handled with care throughout field dressing which matters. Meat cutter I know says 21 days @38 degrees F is the sweet spot for beef, I’d figure venison is about the same.
I always kill a few big does the last couple weeks of bow season and let them hang as long as I can. Last year I was processing deer in February. It works

I always kill a few big does the last couple weeks of bow season and let them hang as long as I can. Last year I was processing deer in February. It works
Had to do some looking but found some pictures of half of one strap off that old buck. So tender a nice slice folded like a cheap suit.

ARDHpAx.jpg

jf4Of8U.jpg

WtSnlyy.jpg

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Those larger bulls just don't sell very good. They would have sold better if they were steers.
Agreed on the steer part bit last newly born bull calf that got banded on the farm was more than 10 years back. Dad decided to band him when I wasn't home. Old momma cow got on-top of him and was trying to burry him with her head. He ended up with a cracked sternum and I couldn't begin to tell anyone where to find the banding tool and baby food jar of bands. Have 5 or 6 we are going to have cut and fatten them up. Haven’t decided which ones are going in our freezers yet but looking forward to it for sure.