Beef

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
My buddy bought a walk in cooler. We put it up. Mainly for Deer. But last 2 years we killed a Beef and 2 for 2 other people. Its A LOT OF WORK. We talking not killing for other people. Only just for us 2 now. To much work and time involved with a Beef.
I was offered a free yearling bull last year, talked to my uncle that has equipment and a walk in and he wanted no part of it. Figured we could split it. The timing suck as we were both busy.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
@Tankt
Guy I work with is getting a 1400 pound bull killed. He said that it was gonna cost him around $700. Place in smithsgrove. He said he’ll get back roughly 600 pound..45cents a pound.
He picks his up Saturday. He dropped it off couple weeks ago. They hung it for 13 days I believe. His words

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
Problem with deer is not many processors have the space to hang em, they get hammered all at once and have to push em out as quick as they can. Need your own walk-in to do it or pray for cold weather! Seems it doesn’t stay consistently cold enough until January…..and even then ya never know.

I’ve aged mine in a cooler for 2 weeks, kept the water to a minimum and it helped a lot.

bondhu

12 pointer
Jul 3, 2015
Battle Run
For anyone interested.
Just paid 1.40 for half of a 1355 steer.
Processor called yesterday how I wanted it.
I like mine : Ribeye's & Filet's 3/4 inch thick , tied roast, Brisket to smoke & everything else in hamburger (1 pound pack).
Usually will get the cube steak (steak n gravy & Swiss steak) but still have some from last year. This will bite me in the buttocks.
When I pick up I will let you know cost of processing.

For anyone interested.
Just paid 1.40 for half of a 1355 steer.
Processor called yesterday how I wanted it.
I like mine : Ribeye's & Filet's 3/4 inch thick , tied roast, Brisket to smoke & everything else in hamburger (1 pound pack).
Usually will get the cube steak (steak n gravy & Swiss steak) but still have some from last year. This will bite me in the buttocks.
When I pick up I will let you know cost of processing.
What are you thinking? 800 pounds total hanging weight give or take @ say 75 cents is $600 plus approximately $150 in fees, say $350-$400 for your half of the processing just taking a stab at it.

00noturkey

12 pointer
Oct 31, 2011
High Grove
Thats why I am doing mine in Dec Jan hopefully its stays cold. Last year I hung my deer for 30 days.
never done that, and wont. not that i have taken so much deer, but the ones that i got, was cut an packed the meat, soon as i could. i cant say if its right or wrong, just haven't killed a cow or steer yet, beef wise. still cooks tender. my sister got bull meat, from a bull that was old, fell on an iced pond, an croaked, she said it was the tenderest beef she had. older bull at that.
So, just to speculate, how long do you hang your rabbits or squirrel meat, just meat, do the rules change? What kind of enzymes does it take to make meat more tender?, an is there a spray? am i so naive?

Last edited: