Bought my boys some new STAN ONNEX releases

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
After doing a lot of research into how to improve your archery shooting I came across resistance releases.
So I jumped in and bought them new resistance releases(no thumb trigger...no index trigger). You can't punch the trigger if there isn't one!
Really hoping after a year or so they might be getting 300's or close to it on a vegas target.
Enjoy....

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
Well my 13 year old sent me a text today. All it said was 30 yards…followed by two pictures….
008E801C-0243-4E31-A0C7-5C5C33A64D60.jpeg

B59EBE76-D24D-4559-A53C-BB1260E9D431.jpeg

I think think he likes it?

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I like the wrist straps. I quit forgetting my release, they are hard on a beard though. I do think the handhelds are more accurate, consistent.

He is shooting great!! After he breaks a few arrows he’ll start shooting one at a time 😅, ask me how I know.

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
I like the wrist straps. I quit forgetting my release, they are hard on a beard though. I do think the handhelds are more accurate, consistent.

He is shooting great!! After he breaks a few arrows he’ll start shooting one at a time 😅, ask me how I know.
Reminds me of my 8 year old at the Iowa deer classic. The judge was talking to him about if he wanted a 3 spot or single spot target.
Judge said to him why wouldn't you want a single spot target? I spoke up since he was very shy and said he is afraid of robin hooding an arrow.
Judge smiles and says if he robin hoods one Ill give him his money back. Three rounds in and WACK! My 10 year old looks over at the
judge and says ,"You gonna give him his money back?" Judge just shook his head with a great big smile.
All the adults came down and took pics of him by his 10 ring robin hood. He of course
was soaking in all the attention.

childersb24

8 pointer
Mar 25, 2010
I have target panic like no one’s business. Even worse if I’m shooting infront of people. I’m fine when I have a live animal infront of me but if you drew a dot on it I’d panic bad. I’m wondering if spending the money on that release would help me or if it’s even worth buying if I’m not target shooting.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I have target panic like no one’s business. Even worse if I’m shooting infront of people. I’m fine when I have a live animal infront of me but if you drew a dot on it I’d panic bad. I’m wondering if spending the money on that release would help me or if it’s even worth buying if I’m not target shooting.
Your going to have to force yourself to shoot more. I had to make myself shoot at the circles on edges of my target, I used to get nervous and pull them toward center. I don’t think any release in the world will keep you from pulling off target at the shot.

I prefer shooting at live critters, I’m more focused but it takes tons of practice to become methodical and mechanical. Been shooting this week. The wind is good practice for steadying without torquing the grip for me.

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
I would try blank baling for a month. Lots of shooting. Nothing to aim at. Force yourself to squeeze. Let the pin float. My 13 year old would set there and tell his 10 year old brother you aren’t going to shoot you are just going to squeeze a little harder in the trigger. Little more little more little more bang she fired.
Looks up bow only outdoors, and Joel turner, and elk shape with joel
Turner.
Shot IQ. It is all mind over matter. Conscious decisions to own the release and let the pin float.
Even most all of the pros have had to deal with it.

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
John Dudley said he had to use a resistance release for 6 years to get past target panic and punching. He is one of the top shooters out there.
Search him up on YouTube.
After 6 years of retraining his brain he said he could then shoot any style of release without punching it.

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
Your going to have to force yourself to shoot more. I had to make myself shoot at the circles on edges of my target, I used to get nervous and pull them toward center. I don’t think any release in the world will keep you from pulling off target at the shot.

I prefer shooting at live critters, I’m more focused but it takes tons of practice to become methodical and mechanical. Been shooting this week. The wind is good practice for steadying without torquing the grip for me.
I researched a lot before I bought my boys resistance releases. A lot of well known coaches and even well known pros have used resistance releases to get over target panic.
There is NO TRIGGER to execute the shot. You have to pull harder to get it to go off. The training pin can also help a lot because you can shoot without shooting. Basic execute the shot….click…. Then let down.
They have shot them for just a few weeks. The 10 year old has a new bow, new arrows, higher poundage and the new release. He has shot one 30 round scoring session. His PB was 285 with 4 x’s. This first try he went 287 with 12 x’s and he hit right the whole time.
The 13 year old went from 290 PB to 299 and that one arrow was a line call.
So far I would say they have been awesome to force you to shoot correctly.

bluedog69

Fawn
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
Scroll to 2:54. This is where Dudley shows his silver back release.

Latest posts