Cancelled Trip Policy

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
For those of you who hunt out west....

A good friend of mine - same guy who won't buy a fishing license - has planned his first trip out west to hunt mule deer with his son. His son is a Blackhawk pilot in the Army Reserve.

His son is concerned that he may get called-up and not be available to go hunting on the dates when the trip is reserved. He is worried about the deposit. He hasn't called to cancel since he doesn't know for sure he will be called-up.

My experience has been that if there is a valid reason that you can't make the trip and you give notice - I believe their hunt is scheduled for October - the guide will let you reschedule the trip at a later date.

I can't believe that any guide wouldn't work with someone who gets called-up to reschedule a hunt.

I know that policies will differ depending on the guide/hunt/demand but I'm wondering if any of you ever had to cancel/reschedule a trip. How did your guide respond?

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
I had a buddy back out on a trip years ago. He had paid a deposit down. Outfitter said he would lose deposit so I found another friend to take his spot and that guy paid original guy his deposit fee. I’ve heard some will do a later date hunt also.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
They're all different. I've gone on cancelation hunts, half price, where someone lost there deposit. I lost my deposit on one hunt. It sucks but it's usually in the contract. If you cancel far enough in advance, they can usually fill your spot. I get trip insurance but not everything is covered. I couldn't find any carrier that covered a pandemic like covid.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
For those of you who hunt out west....

A good friend of mine - same guy who won't buy a fishing license - has planned his first trip out west to hunt mule deer with his son. His son is a Blackhawk pilot in the Army Reserve.

His son is concerned that he may get called-up and not be available to go hunting on the dates when the trip is reserved. He is worried about the deposit. He hasn't called to cancel since he doesn't know for sure he will be called-up.

My experience has been that if there is a valid reason that you can't make the trip and you give notice - I believe their hunt is scheduled for October - the guide will let you reschedule the trip at a later date.

I can't believe that any guide wouldn't work with someone who gets called-up to reschedule a hunt.

I know that policies will differ depending on the guide/hunt/demand but I'm wondering if any of you ever had to cancel/reschedule a trip. How did your guide respond?
Remember, the outfitters only have "X" number of tags to sell, if private land. Their annual revenue is based on those tags being sold, and they don't make a lot of money. Someone backs out with no penalty, outfitter is out all that money. Offering a half price hunt (with short notice) increases his chances of filling the open spot and recouping all his money.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Timer its a tuff situation but the best case is like littlebear said. Finding someone who can fill his spot is the best scenario unless tags are in his sons name already. If the tags are in his name then he is likely out of his deposit and your buddy will need to still go or loose both deposits. I have had opportunity to take discounted trips because someone canceled and the outfitter was waving the deposit because they already have the other persons deposit but I did not act on those opportunities. In the future I will be more likely to take advantage of that discounted oportunity.