Cedar prices

slee

Fawn
Feb 28, 2005
Nicholasville
I’m getting ready to clear about 6 acres of cedars on a hillside to allow browse to grow. I got a bid of $25/ton for saw logs and $12/ton for shred. Seems reasonable to me, but I’m not familiar with the current market. Everybody has to make a living, but does that sound like a reasonable offer. Has anyone sold cedar recently?

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I’m getting ready to clear about 6 acres of cedars on a hillside to allow browse to grow. I got a bid of $25/ton for saw logs and $12/ton for shred. Seems reasonable to me, but I’m not familiar with the current market. Everybody has to make a living, but does that sound like a reasonable offer. Has anyone sold cedar recently?
NO! If they are big logs , some will fetch more than $25 per 8 ft 4 inch log. Cedar post are high right now to.
I could not find my pricelist but these prices are pretty close and should answer your question.

FF/EMT516

8 pointer
Nov 22, 2020
Blackrock, Ky
He said $25 a ton for logs and $15 a ton for stuff to be chipped is about average right now

slee

Fawn
Feb 28, 2005
Nicholasville
I’m in the Bald Knob area in north Franklin Co. I appreciate the responses. I’m not interested in cutting them myself to haul, so if I can make enough to pay for cleaning up tops and maybe planting a few oaks or persimmons along the ridge, I’d consider that a successful project.

Strutter

Cyber-Hunter
Dec 9, 2001
USA.
Seems the outfit that bigbonner posted is the best bet with them buying logs at $125.00 per ton.

"We buy logs at $120/ton by weight or at $.58/log ft by measure"

elmucho277

6 pointer
Aug 4, 2009
northern ky
Seems the outfit that bigbonner posted is the best bet with them buying logs at $125.00 per ton.

"We buy logs at $120/ton by weight or at $.58/log ft by measure"
I had about 20 acres of cedars logged in 2016 which were chipped. These were large cedars as well, many over 40' tall. I had three cedar harvesters come out and appraise them and the ones who took them in for lumber weren't interested in them for some reason. If I remember right I received $15/ton while the mill was paying $85/ton at American Wood Fibers in Lebanon, KY. I would say these prices are the price delivered to the mill and you would only receive a small fraction of that since most is for the labor and transportation.

Latest posts