Copper solvent/cleaner

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
So was looking down bore of my new rifle and can see copper streaks in the rifling. Cleaned with brush and wipes but that hasn’t touched it. What cleaner and method have y’all used successfully?

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Don't bother with hoppes bore cleaner it works but can take hours.
Montana makes a good one and wipe out is good if you can find it without ordering it on line.
I don't know what's going on with these new rifles and copper but they seem to be awful, buddy bought a Begara 3006 said he couldn't get it to shoot.
I scoped it and it was loaded up with copper, I cleaned it and he took it home and was going to shoot it some more but hasn't yet.
That's why I went with a savage after my Browning wouldn't shoot.
Best thing I can tell you is clean it with a good one piece coated rod and a bore guide, when you think it's clean do it some more.
Shoot one shot and copper clean it again do that about 20 times and shoot it and see if it still does it after 20 or 30 rounds.
Almost all rifles will have alittle copper in them no matter what, when the accuracy drops off give it a good cleaning.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Montana Extreme Copper Killer, like @riverboss said. I had a Lemington once that I finally wrapped a bit of 4- 0000 steel wool around the brush and with the Montana, that did it. NOT recommending the steel wool. Factory rifle barrels are Very Rough usually in general.
After a Good custom barrel, you are hard to please!
SAVAGE has rough Barrels also, but the lands seem to be in better condition. Lemons in All them but SAVAGE rifles Shoot even the Cheapo Axis.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I’ll have to look for that Montana, may just have to order it. This is in my new bergara. You use a brass brush to work it in or you just put it on a wipe and run it through?

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Brush. Nylon if you got one, as it is hard on Brass also. You might run some wet swabs in and let it set, then brush it. Amazon have it here Wednesday.
Or.
Just sell the Bergara to me for a Hunert dollars and let Me worry bout it. Love those rifles, they are quality.
That’s mighty fine of you to offer to take it off my hands lol think I will hold onto it for now though as I really love the rifle, especially once I get it Grouping.

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
Bought a Bergara b-14 ridge in 243 for my daughter. Had issues with getting moa out of it. Tried about 10 rounds, broke barrel in and still had issues. Finally cleaned it real good and found a round it likes; last group shot 4 bullets in one ragged hole at 100.

Bergara can be a little finicky, I know others that have had similar issues but they will shoot once you find the right combo.

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
Any of the ammonia-based solvents should work well, Sweets 7.62, Butches Bore Shine, Wipe Out is really good as well and what we use in the shop. if you can't find that and you're itching to shoot, try some old school toothpaste, not the clear gel stuff, like Crest original, on a patch and keep pushing them through until they come out clean. Will not completely get rid of it, but will help. If the barrel is really bad at fouling, and it will take a hundred rounds or so to prove that out (go ahead and clean it about 50 rounds in) it may be a candidate for a new barrel or the Tubbs final finish treatment. Changing barrels is the last stop in the fouling process, so try everything you can and if that fails, give me a holler and we will see what we can do for you.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Any of the ammonia-based solvents should work well, Sweets 7.62, Butches Bore Shine, Wipe Out is really good as well and what we use in the shop. if you can't find that and you're itching to shoot, try some old school toothpaste, not the clear gel stuff, like Crest original, on a patch and keep pushing them through until they come out clean. Will not completely get rid of it, but will help. If the barrel is really bad at fouling, and it will take a hundred rounds or so to prove that out (go ahead and clean it about 50 rounds in) it may be a candidate for a new barrel or the Tubbs final finish treatment. Changing barrels is the last stop in the fouling process, so try everything you can and if that fails, give me a holler and we will see what we can do for you.
Thanks for the info! I’ve got some of the Montana copper solevant ordered to try out. If that doesn’t help I will contact bergara being it’s a new rifle with a moa guarantee. You had much experience with bergara customer service such as rifle won’t shoot moa?

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Bought a Bergara b-14 ridge in 243 for my daughter. Had issues with getting moa out of it. Tried about 10 rounds, broke barrel in and still had issues. Finally cleaned it real good and found a round it likes; last group shot 4 bullets in one ragged hole at 100.

Bergara can be a little finicky, I know others that have had similar issues but they will shoot once you find the right combo.
That’s the same rifle I have, I put mine in a magpul hunter stock and topped it with a hawke vantage 4-16x44. Love the rifle just gotta get it grouping.
You say it was Remington corelokts was it’s favored load?
I’m thinking ordering me a set of dies and loading some 75 grain vmax

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the info! I’ve got some of the Montana copper solevant ordered to try out. If that doesn’t help I will contact bergara being it’s a new rifle with a moa guarantee. You had much experience with bergara customer service such as rifle won’t shoot moa?
Sorry, but have never had to deal with Bergara. I don't typically handle factory service stuff, usually when it gets to me the customer has already exhausted all avenues and is still not satisfied so it's warranty be damned, let's just fix it.

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
That’s the same rifle I have, I put mine in a magpul hunter stock and topped it with a hawke vantage 4-16x44. Love the rifle just gotta get it grouping.
You say it was Remington corelokts was it’s favored load?
I’m thinking ordering me a set of dies and loading some 75 grain vmax
Tipped 95 gr cor lokts, also shot the hornady superformance ssts OK, not great, around moa.

Scoony

6 pointer
Nov 7, 2003
Radcliff
Wipeout does a great job and can be left in the bore without causing pitting that other solvents can do if left in too long.
Hoppes No 9 will work, but it takes time. I will do an initial cleaning, then run some Hoppes through the bore and put the rifle away for a week or so, then pull it out and run some patches through and they come out blue with some of that copper.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Don't let the ammonia based products sit in the barrel very long.

RRK

Spike
Feb 7, 2021
KY
These will definitely clean your copper out. You can leave the Wipe-Out in your bore all night or you can speed up the process with Accelerator. I have tried everything the last 50yrs this is my favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_6979.JPG
    IMG_6979.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts