Coyote?

Mar 13, 2023
Corinth, KY
Took Diesel out by himself tonight, he weighs 80 pounds so he's a big dog. Was running track then went silent. When i found him he had quite a bit of blood on the side of his face, neck and left shoulder. He wasn't tore up or anything but I'm guessing he must've had a run in with coyotes unless he caught a coon on the ground but don't think that's very likely.

Beagle Huntsman

6 pointer
Jan 20, 2023
Earth
Not impossible, but I would be doubtful that it was a coyote. Springtime is when they have pups and are most aggressive, but I still don’t think they would attack a dog his size head on. Even with beagles, they generally run up and grab from the rear, so bite marks are seen on the flanks.

Mar 13, 2023
Corinth, KY
That's true. That's what puzzled me. He definitely got into a fight with something but don't know what else it could be. He was not acting right the whole time so I knew something was off. Maybe a house dog.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Seen several dogs get bit in the face by snakes but I have also seen coons tear the crap out of dogs faces if they get backed into a corner, either way you will find out if it was a snake it will get nasty if it was a coon he might not run them very good anymore.

Beagle Huntsman

6 pointer
Jan 20, 2023
Earth
Snake bites don’t usually leave much blood. I think the house dog idea probably is most likely. A mean dog(s) protecting his territory can do some damage. Seems like there would have been noise of a fight, though. How far was he from you?

Mar 13, 2023
Corinth, KY
Any bear around?
Yea there are a few but not a alot. A few weeks ago I was hunting him in the same area and saw him so in his tracks next to a big briar thicket, stare into it for several seconds then staring growling and showing his teeth then run into the thicket still growling. He went about 150 yards then came back several minutes later. No idea what that was about either. We have a lot of coyotes and bob cats. My brother was hunting with one of his buddies down in Eastern KY about 6 weeks ago and had a 2 year old dog get tore up pretty bad by something. Had to stitched up.

Latest posts