Crazy Find

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Seems to be pretty fresh, not chewed up yet. Ya never know what’s out there and may show up.
This is so true. A few years ago, a guy brought a dog to a place I hunt to look for sheds, there's several people that hunt on and around this property like myself, and we all run camera's, feeders, etc.....

Anyway, we all had the same pictures of the same bucks and thought we pretty much knew what was living there.........until the dog came......

The dog did find several sheds, mostly either small stuff and/or deer we all knew......until.......

......he came dragging up a dead-head of an absolute giant non-typical that we'd never seen the likes of before.......

I about died.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Salyersville, Ky
This is so true. A few years ago, a guy brought a dog to a place I hunt to look for sheds, there's several people that hunt on and around this property like myself, and we all run camera's, feeders, etc.....

Anyway, we all had the same pictures of the same bucks and thought we pretty much knew what was living there.........until the dog came......

The dog did find several sheds, mostly either small stuff and/or deer we all knew......until.......

......he came dragging up a dead-head of an absolute giant non-typical that we'd never seen the likes of before.......

I about died.
Yeah, makes ya wonder if he was there a lot and unseen or photographed or just wondering through rutting and died there.

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
By looking at the skull it looks like it's been there for a year or two but the antlers haven't been gnawed on at all which is surprising. Very cool find. Wonder how wore down it's teeth were? It may have died of old age.
Yeah, lots of algae on the antlers like it went through last summer. It must have fell in a damp area for sure. Amazing find for sure!

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky

I about died.
That sure gets the blood flowing

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC

I about died.

Makes you wonder. Maybe shot somewhere else and died on you or could have been living there under your nose the whole time. Or you ever get one random trail cam pic of a big buck and never get another? Wandering through or just smart and camera shy? If it’s in November then good chance it’s just a roamer but sometimes in the summer it makes you wonder.

Seems like every deer is different, some have really small core areas, some seem to wander aimlessly with no real “home”.

We had a stud living within 100 yards of our campers a few years ago. True whopper. We couldn’t hunt that little patch. We had most of the land around it. We had one pic of that buck from the season before. Never got another. Landowner should have killed em but was trailing a doe he shot and his gun was leaning against a tree about 10 ft away when buck walked up to him. Never seen again.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Makes you wonder. Maybe shot somewhere else and died on you or could have been living there under your nose the whole time. Or you ever get one random trail cam pic of a big buck and never get another? Wandering through or just smart and camera shy? If it’s in November then good chance it’s just a roamer but sometimes in the summer it makes you wonder.

Seems like every deer is different, some have really small core areas, some seem to wander aimlessly with no real “home”.

We had a stud living within 100 yards of our campers a few years ago. True whopper. We couldn’t hunt that little patch. We had most of the land around it. We had one pic of that buck from the season before. Never got another. Landowner should have killed em but was trailing a doe he shot and his gun was leaning against a tree about 10 ft away when buck walked up to him. Never seen again.
I agree with everything you said. Without going into great detail, I am extremely confident that nobody, including me, knew of his existence within an extremely large area, I'm talking miles. I'm sure he had a core area that he surely made appearances at both night and day, but we all missed that chunk of land for sure.

To your second point, yes indeed, I've had several of those random 1 day pics of really good deer that I agree are roamers, and they usually show up first part of November and I never see them again, as expected. I also consistently get known deer through summer and fall that vanish in late October, then show back up in a cornpile in December.

They are fascinating creatures for sure, and idk how the really big ones do it, but they just do. I guess that's why they grow old....and big.

I do enjoy chasing them, even though they are so elusive that it's frustrating sometimes, but that's what keeps me going, you just never know what may show.

Latest posts