Deer Processing

Aug 15, 2021
Morgan County
Recently bought a farm near Grayson. Looking for a processor to make bologna, sausage,etc.

Any suggestions?

I skin and cut up my own deer. I'll just be dropping off meat in a cooler.

Thanks

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I think there is a place in Olive Hill. And you might want to check out Appalachian Meats in West Liberty 606-886-6003. They may cut up and make sausage.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
I still take meat to processor for sausage if you mean salami and summer sausage. I have tried breakfast sausage and brats from 2 processors and it was nasty....waaaaay too salty. I do that myself.

Aug 15, 2021
Morgan County
I reccomend doing it yourself. Just a idea. Lot of work but in the end it’s satisfying. I started doin my own sausage 5 year ago prolly. I would just take meat to them like you said and get sausage but I was like I can do this myself and I do. Nothing to it but to each there own. Just tryin to persuade ya. Good luck
I will at some point, I'm just not quite there. I've been cutting them up myself for about 8 years, that's my next step!

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I will at some point, I'm just not quite there. I've been cutting them up myself for about 8 years, that's my next step!
Same here. I actually like doing all my steak cuts, grinding, etc..but haven’t started on jerky and sausage yet. Will someday soon when I improve my space.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I don’t grind my jerky. Slab jerky is safer and lasts longer. I like it better but to each their own.
Like it better that way too. Just saying all I really do right now is make meat cuts and grind burger. I need to do some jerky. My old man always did his in the oven. He never liked dehydrators.

countryboy3006

6 pointer
Jan 28, 2015
Northern KY
We buy kits from LEM products for sausage making. They have pre packaged seasonings and all you do is mix it all stuff it in the casing and cook them. It is a good way to get started then you can add more seasonings to what they have or mix up your own seasonings. If you sign up for their email list they send out discount codes pretty often.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
We buy kits from LEM products for sausage making. They have pre packaged seasonings and all you do is mix it all stuff it in the casing and cook them. It is a good way to get started then you can add more seasonings to what they have or mix up your own seasonings. If you sign up for their email list they send out discount codes pretty often.
Yep. LEM, Cabelas, AC Legg's....... they all have some good mixes. (Some I don't care for but it's mostly due to personal preferences.)

Latest posts