Devastation

Regulator623

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2006
Eastern Kentucky
I came to realize that we essentially live in ditchlines here in the mountains and you have to be prepared to deal with the worst case scenario. Went through a 500 year flood event in 2004.....we lost everything including our home, took several years for us just to get back to zero. We learned from it and came out on the other side stronger....material things mean nothing to us now. I feel for the people who were flooded out, my wife has cried every day.

Last edited:

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
I came to realize that we essentially live in ditchlines here in the mountains and you have to be prepared to deal with the worst case scenario. Went through a 500 year flood event in 2004.....we lost everything including our home, took several years for us just to get back to zero. We learned from it and came out on the other side stronger....material things mean nothing to us now. I feel for the people who were flooded out, my wife has cried every day.
My 13 year old son has cried over this situation. Not that he has lost anybody or anything, but from pure compassion. We lost what sweet corn we hadn’t picked; I hate it but it is what it is. Thankful to have our lives and a home. Plenty neighbors around me that don’t have homes or vehicles. So sad.

BigPete

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2007
Whitesburg, KY
There simply are no words…..
No words can describe what we saw that day……..

I lost my home, a vehicle, and almost every possession, but yet I’m thankful my family is safe, and that’s all that really matters.

The screams for help from my fellow Letcher Countians are a sound I will never forget. We rescued People by wading, with ropes, with Kayaks, and we finally used a bass boat in downtown Whitesburg. Every single person was asking about neighbors before we got them to dry land, the love for their fellow man was obvious. First Lady I got to was in her 70‘s standing on her porch in water up to her neck, holding her little dog over her head. She smiled and said get my lap dog then come back for me if you can. Her love for her dog was obvious when they were reunited on dry land, her tears of joy just added to the flood waters.

Mountain People are strong, but we’ve sure took a beating from Mother Nature, it’s going to takes years and years to rebuild.

#LetcherCountyStrong
#HellOrHighWater

Regulator623

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2006
Eastern Kentucky
There simply are no words…..
No words can describe what we saw that day……..

I lost my home, a vehicle, and almost every possession, but yet I’m thankful my family is safe, and that’s all that really matters.

The screams for help from my fellow Letcher Countians are a sound I will never forget. We rescued People by wading, with ropes, with Kayaks, and we finally used a bass boat in downtown Whitesburg. Every single person was asking about neighbors before we got them to dry land, the love for their fellow man was obvious. First Lady I got to was in her 70‘s standing on her porch in water up to her neck, holding her little dog over her head. She smiled and said get my lap dog then come back for me if you can. Her love for her dog was obvious when they were reunited on dry land, her tears of joy just added to the flood waters.

Mountain People are strong, but we’ve sure took a beating from Mother Nature, it’s going to takes years and years to rebuild.

#LetcherCountyStrong
#HellOrHighWater
You may not think it now, but you and the community will come out stronger on the other side. I spent this past week in the Vest community of Knott County talking with the residents, one older couple in their early 80's told me how they had to climb the hill to get above the raging water. They sat in the pouring rain for three hours in the dark. Just as soon as the water dropped, they climbed back down and went to work cleaning up their yard and flooded basement. The flood water missed their first floor by inches. Tough and proud people.

Last edited:

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
We have vastly more surface area of pavement. We have all kinds of buildings and structures channeling water. We rarely do it right and we overwhelm some areas that lack adequate systems to disperse sudden and huge volumes of water.
Not to mention all the deforestation and strip mining. All that jacks up the mountains ability to soak up that rainfall versus run off. In the old times, alot was wicked up by forest litter, soaked into the ground, and fed springs, which fed creeks. 80 year old friend of mine said they had a. Stream behind there house that you could fish year round, until the land locally was strip mined, then it turned into a drainage ditch, drying up every summer.