Do I Need a Fishing License?

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Got into a discussion with a good friend earlier this week around when a fishing license is required in KY. We disagreed on a couple of points. Can anyone tell me if you need a fishing license to:

1. Fish in a farm pond on your farm.

2. Fish in a creek that runs through a farm you own.

3. Fish in a creek that runs through your farm when backwater from the Cumberland River backs up into the creek.

JR PORTER

10 pointer
May 1, 2014
KNOTT CO. KY
D811BA44-9706-4D26-BF94-00428F7DF38E.jpg
Good question. From what I read in the fishing guide page 13 if you’re fishing on your own land the answer is NO to all 3 questions. Same as hunting on your own land.

Last edited:

flyingnectar

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2014
Metcalfe County
Call ky F&W, but I believe the answer is yes because I remember reading you do and thought it seemed odd. But check on it and then you will know. I never trust what someone says when it comes to laws often been told wrong info and it’s our responsibility to know

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
From what I've been told: You need a fishing license to fish anywhere in Kentucky. You aren't required to have a Fishing or Hunting license if you are fishing or hunting on your property, that you live on. I know, in Indiana, that a Fishing License is NOT required unless you are fishing in: public lakes, creeks, or rivers. Private ponds & lakes do not require a license, unless the requirement has changed.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Thanks for the responses....I thought you do have to have a fishing license to fish in a creek that feeds into the Cumberland River. My bud said that you do not. We agree that you don't have to have a license to fish in a farm pond.

My farm borders the River - in fact, the old deed says we own "to the middle of the river." Could I stand on my property and fish for trout in the River without a license? One of the best places to fish is at the mouth of the creek. Could I fish there - in the creek right next to the river - without a license?

I have a fishing license and trout stamp - and I'll continue to buy them. But my bud doesn't. I'm telling him that he needs one.

Again, thanks for the responses.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
You can fish ponds on the farm you own but not in someone else farm.
I know of a neighbor who had two farms that did not join . He had tenants on one farm and they were fishing on his other farm close to the road . The game warden wrote them a ticket for no fishing license.

From the way I understand it you are supposed to have a fishing license if you fish a creek. Yes you own the land but not the water or fish.
A person floating and fishing is not trespassing unless he touches land or standing on the creek bed.
Some game warden may write a ticket for fishing from your land but from what I have heard most don't. Fishing water on your own land , i think they are meaning ponds. Check with a game warden to make sure.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
From what I've been told: You need a fishing license to fish anywhere in Kentucky. You aren't required to have a Fishing or Hunting license if you are fishing or hunting on your property, that you live on. I know, in Indiana, that a Fishing License is NOT required unless you are fishing in: public lakes, creeks, or rivers. Private ponds & lakes do not require a license, unless the requirement has changed.
You don't have to live on your property, that you hunt or fish, for the license exemption. You do have to be a resident of Ky. to qualify for the exemption.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Buy a license everybody, is your " "bud" so broke or so tight he can't forego $20 bucks?

I agree....Buy a license. I buy a hunting license and I never hunt off my property - and I don't think there is any question about not needing a license to hunt on your own land. Money isn't the issue. His argument is that he can hunt and fish without a license as long as he is on his property.

Real good point by bigbonner. My friend also fishes in his uncle's pond which is down the road from his property. I didn't bring this up during our conversation, but I will next time I see him. Another good reason for him to buy a license.

Poorboy

8 pointer
Feb 23, 2005
under the bank
If you are on your own land you should be able to fish any way thats follows state regulations. I don't care if it is in a bucket, pond or stream. Also, if it is your pond you should be able to do what ever you want. It is legal to put anything in it at what ever size but not take it out makes no common sense. Just like requiring a guest to have a license.