Dog proof traps

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Been using cat food in my dog proofs. Read about using marshmallows so put a couple on ground and a couple in trap on top of cat food. Ants love the marshmallows and eat them up fairly quick or they just kind of melt away. The problem with the cat food is after it rains it turns to mush. Have been replacing the cat food mush with fresh cat food but it’s a pain. Anyone using shelled corn like from deer feeder in dog proofs? Running 12 traps, 6 by three feeders ( two each) and 6 by creeks. Supposed to get 6 inches of rain over next 4 or 5 days. What is a good bait in rainy weather? Will the coons still dig into the cat food mush? Do the coons smell blood of other coons and avoid? Should I be using choke pole? Sorry for long post thanks for any advice.
I tried shell corn around my chicken coop. Never caught a thing.

In the rain I like sardines in oil. It’ll last until you catch. One can will set 10+ traps. I keep unused portions in a plastic bag or plastic pretzel jar. It just gets better over time in the trunk of your car.

The blood from the female raccoons never hurt my sets. Seemed like once I caught a bore coon, maybe it was the urine, not the blood. I’d have to move my set a few feet or it’d be a while till I caught again. You can spray scent spray “like dead down wind for hunting boots” on the traps and wipe with a paper towel if you don’t want to bring it in and wash it.

Never used a choke pole. I just drive a roof bolt in the dirt or wire off to a T post. The more swivels the better, gotta check them every 24hrs anyways.

mcbuck58

6 pointer
Oct 10, 2021
Mammoth Cave KY
I tried shell corn around my chicken coop. Never caught a thing.

In the rain I like sardines in oil. It’ll last until you catch. One can will set 10+ traps. I keep unused portions in a plastic bag or plastic pretzel jar. It just gets better over time in the trunk of your car.

The blood from the female raccoons never hurt my sets. Seemed like once I caught a bore coon, maybe it was the urine, not the blood. I’d have to move my set a few feet or it’d be a while till I caught again. You can spray scent spray “like dead down wind for hunting boots” on the traps and wipe with a paper towel if you don’t want to bring it in and wash it.

Never used a choke pole. I just drive a roof bolt in the dirt or wire off to a T post. The more swivels the better, gotta check them every 24hrs anyways.
Thanks for the info. I guess corn will mold and expand when wet also. I’ll try sardines. That probably puts out more scent than cat food. Choke pole to kill coon rather than 22 and blood.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Thanks for the info. I guess corn will mold and expand when wet also. I’ll try sardines. That probably puts out more scent than cat food. Choke pole to kill coon rather than 22 and blood.
Oh. I got you. I thought you meant a rod to keep them off the set anchor.

You can use a pellet rifle. Ive never used anything other than pellet gun, 17 or .22. I’ve known some folks that were cheap that used a club or bat.

At Full Draw

Spike
Sep 13, 2016
I have a friend who uses bacon grease with shelled corn and the coons love it. I used a strong selling berry scent on the rim of the dp's with marshmallows in the tube with good success last year. I caught a few on cat food and sardines, too, but the berry/marshmallow was by far the best for me. Last year was my first year trapping. I snared a large male coyote and dp trapped 20 coons and a couple possums on one farm. We also saw more turkeys this spring and fall than in over 5+ years. I'll be after the critters again as soon as muzzleloader is over.

mcbuck58

6 pointer
Oct 10, 2021
Mammoth Cave KY
I have a friend who uses bacon grease with shelled corn and the coons love it. I used a strong selling berry scent on the rim of the dp's with marshmallows in the tube with good success last year. I caught a few on cat food and sardines, too, but the berry/marshmallow was by far the best for me. Last year was my first year trapping. I snared a large male coyote and dp trapped 20 coons and a couple possums on one farm. We also saw more turkeys this spring and fall than in over 5+ years. I'll be after the critters again as soon as muzzleloader is over.
Berry scent? trapping product or you mean like jelly/jam.

At Full Draw

Spike
Sep 13, 2016
Berry scent? trapping product or you mean like jelly/jam.
This is the link to it, it's sold by animal traps and supplies. It's very strong smelling. Hell, I'd get caught, too, it smells really good.