Doin Trad stuff

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
Been plum silent round here since the Green River State Park adventure. Seems everyone on this section has gone into hibernation. So the question is... What are you doing? Is there anything tradbow related going on? Hunting, shoot, building???
I sawed up some hard as a flint yeller wood, not sure what I’m gonna do with it yet, maybe a new riser or something in my future. Been in my garage for too many years! Osage Orange, HedgeApple, or whatever you folks call it.
06B453ED-B8C9-4386-B7A1-73D792818033.jpeg

7B14F569-F3C8-4077-9234-B89929CD7545.jpeg

Jman

10 pointer
Feb 14, 2003
This has been the most demanding year at work that I've ever had. I haven't been able to engage in bow hunting to the extent I would like to. The REAL sad thing is, I don't recall a December with better weather for hunting. Some of these afternoons have been incredible and I've missed it, sitting at a desk! However, a new year is coming, Lord willing!

I've experienced a strange phenomenon in my bow hunting life. I have not had the slightest urge to take a compound bow to woods this year. I blame, Carpdaddy, Grinder, Meatstick, Tarzan and a few others, for this "phenomenon"..........and NOT coincidentally, my number of bow kills this year is at an all time low. Ha!
Not getting in any practice with the Kodiak Hunter, but still not much interest in grabbing the compound. Hoping that as of today, the job will lighten up a little and I'll try to get in the woods some between now and January 17.

On a brighter note, our company just adopted MLK Day as a holiday, which I think is the last day of archery season if I'm not mistaken. So I plan to celebrate it from tree stand somewhere! LOL!

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I have not hunted nearly as much as i should have, and have had no opportunities to even miss a deer. Checking one of my grandson’s deer a while back i noted in his 14 years of life, he has taken 14 deer, one with crossbow, and 3 with his compound, my last deer was in 2016 ! Sounds like a big fail for me, but these last 5 years of my meatless hunts I have watched him evolve into a successful bowhunter.
I cant put a price on that. So my last 5 years has been anything but a failure. He can not only pick his spots, set stands, and kill deer with a bow, but he can track, field dress, skin, and butcher that deer. At 14 years old, thats solid. He now not only outfishes me, he out hunts me, and can drive my truck better than i can.
What next? Oh yeah, a smooth operator around the ladies as well…., i am indeed humbled.

DocPain

6 pointer
Aug 23, 2021
Hardinsburg Kentucky
I shoot almost everyday if it’s not raining, sometimes 2-3 different bows, behind the house. I live in a small woods so I always end each shooting segment with a couple stump shots. I’ve arrived to the point in life where I’m pretty content doing the things I like.
I’m in the process now of getting rid of some bows and accessories. Just have too many. In fact, I just sold a Black Widow PSA II to a gent in Texas last night and I took it to the post office this morning and sent it off.

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
I just finished shooting a few. I shoot maybe once a week, sometimes more often, often go a few weeks without, and not many shots when I do go out. Many shots and I have too much pain later, not worth it, so I shoot a quiver of 4-8 per outing. Today I shot 6, then three for a unusual second round. For some odd reason I am hurting bad below my elbow on my left arm. And that’s the one I hold my bow with. Usually the problem is in the drawing arm, but I never was just right! It’s a challenge right now just to carry my bow around. Oh well, old age is tough!

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I have too many bows as well, but just about everything i have now is special too me. Either built by a friend, or part of a special hunt, or event. Some may never get shot again, but my grands
I just finished shooting a few. I shoot maybe once a week, sometimes more often, often go a few weeks without, and not many shots when I do go out. Many shots and I have too much pain later, not worth it, so I shoot a quiver of 4-8 per outing. Today I shot 6, then three for a unusual second round. For some odd reason I am hurting bad below my elbow on my left arm. And that’s the one I hold my bow with. Usually the problem is in the drawing arm, but I never was just right! It’s a challenge right now just to carry my bow around. Oh well, old age is tough!
drop weight to whatever is comfortable, thats what i did.

ABLongbow

6 pointer
Aug 10, 2018
Morgan County
The weather's been so nice I've shot my bows almost every day for the past 3 months. Haven't taken a deer had a lot of clothes encounters been on the ground and had deer and turkeys less than 10 ft away for me it's not about killing an animal it's about the experiences in the woods

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I’ve killed a bunch, and continue to do so. However, if someone whispered in my ear that I’d never kill another one, I would still go every chance I got just to enjoy all of nature’s wonders. I’m a hunter, born into it, and have been one all my life, and I can’t imagine living my life any other way
Yessir. Same here. Now I ain't as diehard as @Carpdaddy or some of these other boys. I kill deer with stickbows when I know it will work out, and prefer it 10 to 1 when it does work out. Aside from that, I stack odds in my favor lol. But if tomorrow all I had to hunt with was a rock, I'd go hunting with a rock.

DocPain

6 pointer
Aug 23, 2021
Hardinsburg Kentucky
Flung a few arrows at the target this morning and then took a small hike around my woods and did a little stump shooting along the way. Found 2 rubs and a nice scrape that weren’t there last week. If you haven’t got your deer yet, don’t give up. There’s still a lot out there. I’ve been seeing quite a few in the fields when driving around about the last half hour of daylight. One couldn’t ask for better weather to chase them in for late December, unless your trying to get them to come for bait. In that case, the colder the better, IMOH

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
No arrows flung today or yesterday. No chance for me on Sunday anyway, my busiest day, something about being a Pastor does that! Lol I did manage to preach twice today, becoming more challenging all the time, but sure glad to as I am able.
The arm problem I am having is new, happening in left leg also, can’t pick much up with that arm. Hurts as bad carrying the bow as it does drawing it, so although the dropping weight is usually a good idea Grinder, doesn’t help this issue. No biggy though, this to shall pass. I enjoy what I am blessed to do. I was able to take a Doe again this season, video many others all around under me (only one doe tag in this county), and had several encounters with smaller bucks. Not that I’m a trophy hunter, but I do enjoy hunting too much to have to quit on a small buck. They better not be tempting me too much as the season is nearing an end! Lol

Latest posts