how much draw weight??

Oscar

6 pointer
Sep 22, 2009
Oscar, KY
I really dont know alot about the technical aspects of the bows today, but am wanting to learn more about it. my draw length is just shy of 31" and been shooting 75-80 lbs. I read alot of threads that people are pulling between 60-70#. I shot an 80# hoyt maxxis the other day and liked it alot and was wondering if the extra ten pounds of weight will make that much difference. Pulling the weight is not a problem, even on a cold morning.

RutNBuck

12 pointer
Dec 10, 2001
Northern Ky
i shoot 70# but gonna drop down to 60 todays bows are way more efficient then years ago and the only reason i was shootin #70 was becuz i did alot of 3D shoots buddy of mine hunts with like 55# and gets pass thru's just the same as me

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
yall got cape buffalo problems down there? rogue elephants?

Cougars... and we shoot them with cougar guillotines.

If you can pull 80 with no problem, shoot 80 if that's what you want. You might have shoulder issues later in life but you will have no ke problems.

I shoot 70# now but I used to shoot 76#. The 80# bow is still what I use for bowfishing. You never know when you're going to run across the odd rogue alligator. :D

Tim Compton

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2006
mckee ky
back in the day i used to shoot 100 lb bows that we used to shoot 3-d with to get all the speed we could get. i deer hunted with a 94 lb oregon and shot a few deer with that. now i dont even own a bow that is over 60 lbs. if you are comfortable with shooting 80 lbs then by all means keep on. it gives you a wide choice of shooting expandable or big wide heavy fixed blades with heavy arrows that will give you all kinds of k.e. also the heavier the arrow the flatter the trajectory providing the speed is up there.

Dec 2, 2009
Jefferson, Co
i shoot 70# but gonna drop down to 60 todays bows are way more efficient then years ago and the only reason i was shootin #70 was becuz i did alot of 3D shoots buddy of mine hunts with like 55# and gets pass thru's just the same as me

Yea I agree. With the high preformance bows of today mega draw weight isn't needed. 65lbs is what I pull and that pubby is sending a 325fps missile..

Foam Steak

10 pointer
Jun 29, 2006
Harrison County
Thats a huge draw length! Here is something to think about. I used to know a guy at a local bowshop who had a super long draw like you. He was an ex-footbal player and was plenty strong to pull back an 80 lb bow no problems. He hunted with something around a 50lb bow. His reasoning was with his longer draw length he was getting a lot more efficiency out of his bow. 50lbs was more than enough to kill an elk AND (this is the kicker) he could hold his bow at full draw for a long long long long time. This is really handy when you are hunting from the ground. I think he would crank it up to 60 during the off season.

just something to think about.

BowOnly

8 pointer
Mar 6, 2008
Several people mentioned "today's bow"....mine is what....10 years old? Has technology improved that much since I bought mine?

Yes. It'd be like using a 10 year old computer. Spend some time shooting some of these newer bows and you'll throw rocks at your old one.

Latest posts