Infected deer

Kylongrifle32

6 pointer
Jan 13, 2019
Owen co.
I will put this here as more people will probably see it than in another thread.
Hunting in southern Pendleton county. My uncle killed an average sized 8 point buck yesterday. When field dressing it ran into two large baseball sized masses on the inside of the ribs. Lungs, liver and meat looked good. He took it to a processor and they refused to process the deer. Told him the deer had ??? And was not edible. He forgot whatt the ??? Dieses was they called it tried to get ahold of a conservation officer but tono avail.
When I searched on the internet it appeared to look the same as EHD or BTV.
Just curious if any one has run into this around the state and if so did you process the meat or discard it?
My search found that EHD or BTV was not transmitted to humans. But what are your thoughts on eating an infected deer?

Last edited:

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Not sure but Take some pics.

Burn the carcass &gut pile so scavenges dont pass it on.

Id probably process myself freeze it and get a definitive answer before eating or tossing it. Wear gloves wash thoroughly etc. OR S Pendleton is thick w deer, kill a bunch of does for meat and dont risk it.

Kylongrifle32

6 pointer
Jan 13, 2019
Owen co.
He was worried about eating any of it after the processor told him it was inedible. Not a trophy sized buck but hated to loose the meat. He brought it back to where it was killed and dumped the deer in a sink hole.

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009
I killed a deer several years ago that had 1000's of worms inside the intestines. While I was gutting it i could see them moving. I told my buddy I was leaving the deer for coyote bait, he told me they weren't in the meat no big deal. I took the deer to the processor and when I got it back I couldn't eat a bite of it. I can eat almost anything but couldn't stomach the thoughts of that deer.

Brody

10 pointer
Apr 7, 2019
No place like home
Maybe this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-202100.png
    Screenshot_20221113-202100.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 195

Kylongrifle32

6 pointer
Jan 13, 2019
Owen co.
As luck would have it no pictures were taken. The spots on this deers rib cage were very large. About the size of a cupped hand and resembled something like a large piece of chicken fat. Yellowish in color but tougher in texture When cut into a yellow liquid like urine poured out.
I ran across a picture on a forum from Pennsylvania yesterday while trying to research it that looked exactly the same and it was called EHD Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease.
Not the small white spot like the picture of bovine TB.

Latest posts