Invasive trees

redjackson

8 pointer
Dec 4, 2010
Barren County
What do you all do with princess and tree of heaven trees? Cut down? Hack and squirt? Has anyone heard of a program via forestry department to help kill them?

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
If large I would hack and squirt. I dont have any princess trees and haven't noticed any tree of heaven. My invasive’s are Japanese honey suckle, autumn or Russian olive, ornamental pear, and hedge apple. Anything out in the open small enough to be run over by the tractor gets mowed. The stuff thats in the woods gets worked on when I have the energy. Sometimes I cut the hedge sometimes I spray and sometimes I gurgle them. I plan to make a hacking hammer this spring and do more hack and squirt.

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
If large I would hack and squirt. I dont have any princess trees and haven't noticed any tree of heaven. My invasive’s are Japanese honey suckle, autumn or Russian olive, ornamental pear, and hedge apple. Anything out in the open small enough to be run over by the tractor gets mowed. The stuff thats in the woods gets worked on when I have the energy. Sometimes I cut the hedge sometimes I spray and sometimes I gurgle them. I plan to make a hacking hammer this spring and do more hack and squirt.
Hedge apples are native and not invasive. Just a FYI.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Hedge apples are native and not invasive. Just a FYI.
Hedge is not native to KY it a native to North America but not KY. It was first discovered by modern man during Lewis and Clarks expedition when they entered the Red River basin. Although the largest one currently living is in Harrodsburg it was brought to KY by man. In my book it is an invasive species to KY much like the coyote which has spread east over the last 50+ years.

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
Deer will eat every hedge apple that hits the ground if given the opportunity. I passed on this 8pt late season bow in Iowa, he was eating hedge apples.

qdm2.jpg

G

NOCAMST

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
Deer will eat every hedge apple that hits the ground if given the opportunity. I passed on this 8pt late season bow in Iowa, he was eating hedge apples.

View attachment 99422

G
I’ve seen deer walk by hundreds of hedge apples on the ground here in central ky and never seen a deer touch one, strange that In different areas they like them that much.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Hedge is not native to KY it a native to North America but not KY. It was first discovered by modern man during Lewis and Clarks expedition when they entered the Red River basin. Although the largest one currently living is in Harrodsburg it was brought to KY by man. In my book it is an invasive species to KY much like the coyote which has spread east over the last 50+ years.
I did not know that.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I saw a couple of really nice hedge apple trees in Tennessee this morning. Would have made some corner posts.

We had somewhere between three and five on our farm in E TN. They were more like tall bushes and all grew beside one another upon that hill by the creek and vines recently discussed within my thread.
20220409_220330.jpg

We used them as part of our war games, pelting each other with them. They were our bombs for the creek. Great fun and seemingly lethal weapons (painful at times lol). They did not grow anywhere else upon the farm.