Invasive trees

luvtohunt

10 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
I’m needing to fence my place and I don’t know what to do. Posts are $16.50 a piece. That’s crazy to me.
I seen a Facebook post for 300 8 inch round 6 feet posts for $6 apiece in Perryville not long ago. Might be worth a look. I don’t do Facebook myself but look at the old ladies for marketplace from time to time.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I seen a Facebook post for 300 8 inch round 6 feet posts for $6 apiece in Perryville not long ago. Might be worth a look. I don’t do Facebook myself but look at the old ladies for marketplace from time to time.
6 Ft is not long enough . They need to be 8 ft
2.5ft to 3 ft in the ground and 5ft sticking out.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Im not sure coyotes are invasive. Not sure if they were in ky before white man or not.
Looks like before 1700 there native range was west of the big river. This article indicates they started the invasion in the 40’s.

931450EF-916A-42B0-893E-4A02D46F8C52.jpeg

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I do the same with my wife’s face puke. I’ll have a gander. Thank you for the heads up.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
What do you all do with princess and tree of heaven trees? Cut down? Hack and squirt? Has anyone heard of a program via forestry department to help kill them?
I had several "Tree Of Heaven" trees growing on my property in one small area. I drilled a deep 1/2" hole in the trunk, slightly slanted, and placed some full strength "Round-up" in the holes and plugged them. This seemed to do the work.

bondhu

12 pointer
Jul 3, 2015
Battle Run
Coyotes were brought to Ky in the 70's. When fur prices where high & there were no foxes for the fox hunters to run. They bought coyotes from out west and turned them loose. Clay farm had a couple hunts a year not sure if they still do though.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
Coyotes were brought to Ky in the 70's. When fur prices where high & there were no foxes for the fox hunters to run. They bought coyotes from out west and turned them loose. Clay farm had a couple hunts a year not sure if they still do though.
I killed my first deer in Owen co. in the early seventies ,when we checked it in that was all the talk ,at the check station,somebody killed a coyote close by.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I lived close to a BIG-time fox hunter. They would have fox hunts and people from all over would come to his farm to run dogs. There was a lot of them that was there just to ride horses. They would deck out in riding gear just like in the fox hunting pictures. The landowner would make dirt mounds and make brush piles for foxes, I trapped the area around and I did catch several foxes.
The old guy would turn loose at least 150 + hounds all at once. Those dogs would run until they could not run any more. Sometimes I would find one curled up in my barn, When they got in that kind of shape they would be mean and growl at me.
I have seen those hounds chase deer and never let up unless someone took them out????
They ran on every farm around and was not just on his property they would run the whole country. There would be judges sneaking around watching for hounds. Each hound had a number painted on their side so the judges could tell who owned what dog.

bondhu

12 pointer
Jul 3, 2015
Battle Run
When they opened bow hunting up in Ky. We went to maloneys and bought all 4 bows they had in stock mine was an old Indian Stalker cable bow. That year when they had the fox hunt on Clay farm. We staged up on the riffles in the old Mexico river bottoms.
Them hounds would run those deer across the river and we would try to led the deer like wing shooting but with bows. Its a wonder we didnt kill one of us. We would go back to maloneys and buy all the arrows they had in stock. Dont understand how maloneys went under from the bows, arrows, shells, manns buzzbaits and plastic grape/ dough ball tail worms we bought they should have been set.

bigbonner that fox hunter's last name Workman ?

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
When they opened bow hunting up in Ky. We went to maloneys and bought all 4 bows they had in stock mine was an old Indian Stalker cable bow. That year when they had the fox hunt on Clay farm. We staged up on the riffles in the old Mexico river bottoms.
Them hounds would run those deer across the river and we would try to led the deer like wing shooting but with bows. Its a wonder we didnt kill one of us. We would go back to maloneys and buy all the arrows they had in stock. Dont understand how maloneys went under from the bows, arrows, shells, manns buzzbaits and plastic grape/ dough ball tail worms we bought they should have been set.

Nope, Richardson

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Hedge is not native to KY it a native to North America but not KY. It was first discovered by modern man during Lewis and Clarks expedition when they entered the Red River basin. Although the largest one currently living is in Harrodsburg it was brought to KY by man. In my book it is an invasive species to KY much like the coyote which has spread east over the last 50+ years.
Im thinking coyotes were native to ky, just killed out when settlers arrived, like red wolves. I could be wrong though, as the 2 species compete for resources.

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005

Them was the days!!