Just bought, need help.

Danno

6 pointer
Oct 20, 2020
In a van...down by the river
Okay long story short, been talking about getting back to basics. My wife for father's day bought me a Galaxy recurve bow. I do shoot a compound bow semi regularly- with pin sights, stabilizer so on so forth. Being that i got this thing today i tried to use my compound bow arrows with it and noticed they were talking a steep dive low right. I have semi -hard plastic fletching on my shafts. Could that be hitting the plastic arrow shelf and deviating the path? I feel overwhelmed, and could turn to you tube, but figured this was a better avenue to get the hard truth about this subject.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
You need feathers, and your compound's arrows will most likely never work for the stickbow (way too stiff.)
What is the bow poundage and what is your draw length? I can get you pretty close to the right spine shaft with that info.
Place your nocking points with a bow square, usually ~ 3/8" or so above center.
It's alot to take in at first, but don't get overwhelmed and take it a step at a time. It'll all start to click. Tuning a stickbow sucks, but it's a necessary evil for something that's supposed to "simple" lol.
YouTube is your friend. Look up Clay Hayes.

Danno

6 pointer
Oct 20, 2020
So its a galaxy sage elite 40 pound pull.... not sure on draw length but the numbers on the bow read like this 62"-40# the fella at the shop placed a tiny brass ring as a nock point, as he said just rest your arrow on top of the brass bead basically, and placed a small plastic arrow rest on it as well. Thank you in advance for all the help.... btw what's a good starting aiming technic?

ABLongbow

6 pointer
Aug 10, 2018
Morgan County
It's easier if you have someone help you in person but as meat stick said look up Clay Hayes on YouTube and you're going to have to develop some kind of form I shoot like Rick Welch you can look him up on YouTube I bought his DVDs

Danno

6 pointer
Oct 20, 2020
It's easier if you have someone help you in person but as meat stick said look up Clay Hayes on YouTube and you're going to have to develop some kind of form I shoot like Rick Welch you can look him up on YouTube I bought his DVDs
So moorhead is Lexington way, I'm not opposed to drive, especially to learn a new skill and to get help, not sure how open you are or what your schedule looks like. Also what type of fee would you charge to get the bow set up and such

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I have a friend in Irvington, ky, that would probably help you. His name is Kevin ‘bear’ Brown on facebook. He builds custom bows. I could pm you his info, if he is ok with that, or you can contact him on facebook