Kentucky Football is BAAACK!!! Sadly enough...

CalebConn16

8 pointer
May 27, 2016
I want to see GA play MI. Given the money grab by ESPN/Disney, I may not get to see that game.

When OSU played MI, all the marbles should have been on the table. The winner should advance, the loser look forward to next year. In hindsight, that game now means nothing.

Same with TCU and OKSt. I don't care if TCU beat USC, Bama, and Tennessee during the season....If they lose in their conference championship game....They should be done with regard to the National Championship.

And finally, college football is about tradition. The Bama/Auburn game used to mean something. Same with OK/NE and Ole Miss/Miss State and OSU/MI and USC/UCLA. Those games don't mean squat with a 12 team playoff.
Your alls precious bowl games did this btw. You can blame ESPN and Disney all you want but the bowls themselves had to agree. Tradition isn’t always a good thing. putting a team’s absolutely amazing season to bed because they lose a conference championship is idiotic. Like last year, did anyone actually think anyone besides Georgia deserved to be in the championship game? It was clear that they were the best team. But by your logic the best team shouldn’t have won because of one game. And if you think people won’t still be fired up about rivalry games you’re insane. Why do you just want to see a game you already know the outcome of? Do you actually believe that Michigan is the best team opposite Georgia? Tennessee, Alabama, hell probably South Carolina would beat Michigan

Reactions: Bee

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
I want to see GA play MI. Given the money grab by ESPN/Disney, I may not get to see that game.

When OSU played MI, all the marbles should have been on the table. The winner should advance, the loser look forward to next year. In hindsight, that game now means nothing.

Same with TCU and OKSt. I don't care if TCU beat USC, Bama, and Tennessee during the season....If they lose in their conference championship game....They should be done with regard to the National Championship.

And finally, college football is about tradition. The Bama/Auburn game used to mean something. Same with OK/NE and Ole Miss/Miss State and OSU/MI and USC/UCLA. Those games don't mean squat with a 12 team playoff.
I don’t see how they don’t mean anything, you still have to win them. Still can determine a lot

CalebConn16

8 pointer
May 27, 2016
TCU did not play a team on the level of Penn St.
Do you honestly believe that? Penn St. ? Who did they play? They didn’t beat a ranked team all year long not one. They almost got beat in the season opener by a terrible Purdue team. On what level is Penn st? I think you have some historical bias on how good they really are. I’m sorry shutting out Maryland doesn’t impress me. Do you think Penn st could beat Kansas state straight up? Or even Texas?

CalebConn16

8 pointer
May 27, 2016
I don’t see how they don’t mean anything, you still have to win them. Still can determine a lot
Because people love antiquated outdated systems. People hate change and think it’s the absolute end of the world to advance college football into the current century. If they really think people won’t pack Bamas stadium and scream F auburn to Dixieland delight regardless of standings they are delusional. If anything, it makes teams that used to be good annually such as auburn spend more money on football because it becomes feasible for them to make a playoff. More money makes better teams. Better teams mean better games. A auburn who is 8-3 against a 11-0 Bama, auburn wins and in is a hell of a lot more compelling than auburn has no hope so why play.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Do you honestly believe that? Penn St. ? Who did they play? They didn’t beat a ranked team all year long not one. They almost got beat in the season opener by a terrible Purdue team. On what level is Penn st? I think you have some historical bias on how good they really are. I’m sorry shutting out Maryland doesn’t impress me. Do you think Penn st could beat Kansas state straight up? Or even Texas?
Yes, and yes. Do you think TCU could have played any SEC team's schedule without losing 4 games? Not a damn chance.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
They could have played Michigans and not lost 4
Hey I did make the strength of schedule argument against OSU for chits and giggles earlier. I mean they played good names but Penn St and MI are truly the only teams they played that are legit contenders this year.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Because people love antiquated outdated systems. People hate change and think it’s the absolute end of the world to advance college football into the current century. If they really think people won’t pack Bamas stadium and scream F auburn to Dixieland delight regardless of standings they are delusional. If anything, it makes teams that used to be good annually such as auburn spend more money on football because it becomes feasible for them to make a playoff. More money makes better teams. Better teams mean better games. A auburn who is 8-3 against a 11-0 Bama, auburn wins and in is a hell of a lot more compelling than auburn has no hope so why play.
It's all about money....It isn't about "advancing college football." And if you think that it will be just as exciting when OSU plays MI with both teams guaranteed to advance - you are just flat out wrong. And the real travesty is that the traditional rivals may not play in the tournament when the games will mean something.

Now, I'll give you that second tier teams might generate a bit of excitement trying to get the sixth through the twelfth seed....

Let's see what happens to attendance at college football games over the next five years or so....I'm betting it will trend lower - just like college basketball now that every team can get in the tournament regardless of whether they win a single game during the year.

And speaking of loving "antiquated outdated systems" I kinda like capitalism....

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I don’t even think they had it right in 2012. Wasn’t that still Selection Committee? Seems like the playoff started in 14 but could be wrong? That Notre Dame vs Bama “dream matchup” where Bama actually called off the dogs and won 42-14. It was 28-0 at half time. Regardless of NDs record they were placed in that spot for being ND. Anyone who knows football knew in advance Bama would beat them to death. It has to have improved from that?
Except…..that’s exactly how the national championship should have played out. There was no other option. I love that you mentioned that year.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I really think this is just your “back in my day” thing that everyone has. Fact is some years in college football in the BCS era the best teams lost one game and were heavily penalized and had almost no shot. Mid majors had no shot even if they went undefeated. Much like TCU. TCU even if they went undefeated in regular season and won their conference this year would not have been in a bowl game for a championship. How can we definitively say without a shadow of a doubt that unless they had a chance the best team won? No one liked the bowl selection when it was a thing absolutely no one. In fact I believe you’re the only human I have ever came in contact with that schills for them. And at this point idk if you’re honestly being truthful, or your argue with Jesus about who created humans side is coming out.
Has nothing to do with “back in my day”….has everything to do with the fact that I absolutely love college football. It is an amazing refuge from work and life’s challenges. It provides endless excite and entertainment. I’ve always thought it to be better football than the professional level. To me, football is the ultimate team game of camaraderie, discipline, cohesion, and attitude. The pro game dilutes that’s drastically when guys are playing for a paycheck. Obviously the pros are better athletes but football is a game of adversity and rising to the occasion. I have always felt collegiate football has always exemplified that. Not so much anymore. The idea of “best teams” is highly subjective when you throw in the countless variables across hundreds of teams in d-1 football. The playoff system is an opiate to placate the boisterous crowd of zealous people wishing their program into relevance. If you play a damn good schedule and you win your games…..you will be respected. Otherwise, take a seat and shut up. Each year there are only a couple standout teams. It’s evident and apparent. The issue I have is, teams with loads of talent, playing a soft schedule, capitalize on that and beating a team (in one game at one time) that has been through proverbial hell and back. This playoff is not necessary. Georgia and Michigan have earned their spot. Let them play. This other nonsense is a distraction

Latest posts