Kentucky medical marijuana legalization

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
The idea that genetics determine addiction is retarded. It’s a theory to further excuse irresponsibility. They have not isolated a genome. They have not proven anything. It is a theory at best. Not to mention the manifestation of those “genes” depends on a multitude of variables. I’m sorry if you have fought those demons, but don’t blame it on your genes. Take ownership of your mistakes and correct them.
I don't think genetics causes drug addiction. My dad was addicted to alcohol. There was seven of us and only two would drink a little every now and then. The other five never touched the stuff or did drugs.
The only thing is, that genetics does show up in looks, weight, IQ, size and health.
My mother has bad heart problems from her side. Her mother dropped dead when my mother was three years old. Mom passed at 60 years old. I had two young male cousins (Brothers) drop dead One 36 one early 40's and an older one at 60. I had a heart attack at 56 years old.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I don't think genetics causes drug addiction. My dad was addicted to alcohol. There was seven of us and only two would drink a little every now and then. The other five never touched the stuff or did drugs.
The only thing is, that genetics does show up in looks, weight, IQ, size and health.
My mother has bad heart problems from her side. Her mother dropped dead when my mother was three years old. Mom passed at 60 years old. I had two young male cousins (Brothers) drop dead One 36 one early 40's and an older one at 60. I had a heart attack at 56 years old.
Yessir and they are now just scratching the surface for that genetic understanding. Physiology and our reaction to environment is far different than elected and continual drug use. Period. Clearly genetics make some people at higher risk than others for diet and environment….but choosing to ingest, inject, or smoke a chemical is clearly not the result of genetics and they will never prove it otherwise.

Last edited:

Carl

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2003
Western Kentucky
Interesting perspectives....My $0.02....

Some people want to get high. For my money, I'd rather they get high on pot than alcohol. I've never seen anyone high on pot that I consider likely to become aggressive or violent.

Pot has medicinal value for some. I've seen it first-hand. And whether the effect is real or psychosomatic doesn't matter. If someone with cancer - or any other debilitating ailment for that matter - thinks it helps them, that's good enough for me. I'd rather a hundred people get pot on false pretenses than for one person who actually needs it be denied.

With regard to meth, heroin, fentanyl, cocaine....the war on drugs was over a long time ago. We lost. Get over it. Move on. It's time to remove the financial incentive for those who can outsmart the police or do an end-run around our laws. It's time to stop making criminals out of ordinary people who fell into a trap. It's time to put an end to the losses innocent people suffer as a result of an addict needing a fix. And for people who are addicted, it's time to decriminalize their addiction and get them the help they need.
Yesss.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
Addiction is genetic not mental. Once we start treating that way we can start moving forward. Some have a predisposition to it. Thats the reality that no one wants to admit.

I agree with the "provide care" model, thats why I'm pro clean needle program as well. In the end its a net positive for society as a whole.
I could potentially see some genetic traits making an individual more susceptible to addiction. But it’s still a mental problem. A mental decision to do the drugs in the first place despite the warnings. A mental decision to continue using over getting yourself clean. Mind over matter. Your mental state has to have a stronger desire than your body desires. It’s obviously not easy to kick a bad habit. It’s a literal war inside oneself. That’s why I feel prevention is key along with a pathway to help those that chose wrong path to find their way home.

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
Yessir and they are now just scratching the surface for that genetic understanding. Physiology and our reaction to environment is far different than elected and continual drug use. Period. Clearly genetics make some people at higher risk than others for diet and environment….but choosing to ingest, inject, or smoke a chemical is clearly not the result of genetics and they will never prove it otherwise.
I could potentially see some genetic traits making an individual more susceptible to addiction. But it’s still a mental problem. A mental decision to do the drugs in the first place despite the warnings. A mental decision to continue using over getting yourself clean. Mind over matter. Your mental state has to have a stronger desire than your body desires. It’s obviously not easy to kick a bad habit. It’s a literal war inside oneself. That’s why I feel prevention is key along with a pathway to help those that chose wrong path to find their way home.
Millions of people were prescribed opiates for two decades per the doctors choice.

How you can say genetics play a role but the “mind” can overcome that is some statement. Like someone mentioned earlier if your family has a history of heart problems you can’t just “will” yourself to not have them, because your mind cannot overcome genetics.

The people who say it is purely mental have not been, been around or tried to help someone struggling with it.

It is an internal war between the mind and the body, your body is fighting what your mind is trying to do, that’s what the difference between it being purely mental.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Millions of people were prescribed opiates for two decades per the doctors choice.

How you can say genetics play a role but the “mind” can overcome that is some statement. Like someone mentioned earlier if your family has a history of heart problems you can’t just “will” yourself to not have them, because your mind cannot overcome genetics.

The people who say it is purely mental have not been, been around or tried to help someone struggling with it.

It is an internal war between the mind and the body, your body is fighting what your mind is trying to do, that’s what the difference between it being purely mental.
I’m saying genes have nothing to do with chemical dependence. Environmental factors and personal choices determine addiction. Literally everyone in this state has been impacted by addiction, one way or another.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
20221125_095148.jpg

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
I’m saying genes have nothing to do with chemical dependence. Environmental factors and personal choices determine addiction. Literally everyone in this state has been impacted by addiction, one way or another.
The first sentence, to use one of your favorite terms, is "patently false".

If that were true you would not feel the way you do. You try to cherry pick what you can to "try" to make a point that has any validity. But you constantly fall flat and try to worm you way into saying you meant something else.

This is why I think you are a waste of time and in general dont engage with you.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
The first sentence, to use one of your favorite terms, is "patently false".

If that were true you would not feel the way you do. You try to cherry pick what you can to "try" to make a point that has any validity. But you constantly fall flat and try to worm you way into saying you meant something else.

This is why I think you are a waste of time and in general dont engage with you.
I personally couldn’t care less what you think of me. Sorry but junkies like yourself tend to not be high on my list of people I seek acceptance from.

To use one of your phrases….”prove it!” Prove they have isolated and identified the “junkie genome.” You can’t because it is a whimsical theory used to excuse stupid people making stupid decisions like yourself. Keep telling yourself that chemical dependency is genetic though. I’m sure that will work out just fine for you.

Buzzy

10 pointer
Oct 15, 2013
I personally couldn’t care less what you think of me. Sorry but junkies like yourself tend to not be high on my list of people I seek acceptance from.

To use one of your phrases….”prove it!” Prove they have isolated and identified the “junkie genome.” You can’t because it is a whimsical theory used to excuse stupid people making stupid decisions like yourself. Keep telling yourself that chemical dependency is genetic though. I’m sure that will work out just fine for you.
I did and have.

Keep lookin for that "pat on the head" you do nothing daddy's boy.
People who have lived off handouts and act like they made it on their own aren't on any of my lists.

Latest posts