Knife sharpening suggestions

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Has anyone used anything like this?

Also would like an opinion from @KYBOY on this device and those like it. (Lansky, and wicked edge)

I have not used this but worth a look imo.
This system allows a novice the get proper and consistent angles with stones. Reminds me of wicked edge system but a fraction of the price. $119 for the upgraded system.
Id say after using it and gaining an understanding of angles and proper motions, you”ll get better at free handing on a whetstone too.
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-P...cphy=9014387&hvtargid=pla-1016208247869&psc=1

Lansky

Worksharp

Last edited:

Cornpile

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2006
Kornfield County,KY
This thing will flat put a shaving edge on a knife
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
How good is the edge? From memory a long time ago I found it very very rough
That is all I use on my Rada knives, and they stay sharp.
I have a Berkley filet knife and I use the Rada sharpener on it and it gets really sharp. I use this one for cleaning deer and cutting up the meat. I can slice jerky cuts really well with it. They work best on stainless steel blades and regular metal blades it helps but does not work so good on them.
You have to pay attention when sharpening the tips of knives.
I have one butcher knife that I use on frozen meats like packs of hamburger. We keep a tack hammer and if we only need a pound for Manwich, I will take the butcher knife and tack hammer and peck it through the frozen pack and get a pound. Them re bag the rest and put it back in the freezer and thaw what I need.

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky

Also would like an opinion from @KYBOY on this device and those like it. (Lansky, and wicked edge)

This system allows a novice the get proper and consistent angles with stones. Reminds me of wicked edge system but a fraction of the price. $119 for the upgraded system.
Id say after using it and gaining an understanding of angles and proper motions, you”ll get better at free handing on a whetstone too.
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-P...cphy=9014387&hvtargid=pla-1016208247869&psc=1

Lansky

Worksharp
Cant really beat a Lansky for the price. Guided systems all do the same thing. Some of them cost upwards of $900 but are just nicer versions of each other..
They hold the knife clamped and allow you to move the abrasive at a repeatable angle every stroke. If you want to use a system and not hand sharpen you cant go wrong with one really. They just work well

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA

Lansky

Worksharp

I have been using one like the Lansky for close to 30 years. You can make a knife as sharp as you want to with it. It does take time bit when you have put the final finishing stone to a blade just use a belt or leather boot upper to finish the edge.

hunt

10 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Im gonna get nerdy for a minute. Im a blacksmith/knifemaker I cant help it..
I suggest hand sahrpening if at all possible. Its not hard when it clicks. It will "click" I promise you. Its as simple as meeting two planes together..Its all muscle memory. If you dont want to go hand sharpening here are some things Ill suggest you avoid..
Carbide sharpeners.. These things are the devil. They seem to work pretty good at first but they change the edge geometry and literally shave off steel instead abrading it..
Belt sharpeners are ok if you practice first. You can overheat an edge is a nano second if your not careful. keep your blade cool,dip it in water often..
Paper wheels work great but again, practice on junk first and be careful what direction you run them in..
What I do suggest...
A simple Lansky. Its a guided system that works well, especially for the price.. Many guided systems cost 5x as much or more..
A Spyderco sharpmaker.. Its a pull through, ceramic stick design. Simple and you only have to be able to hold the knife vertically as you pull it...
My overall first suggestion. A DMT double sides diamond plate with a good strop..A coarse/fine DMT will sharpen everything from soft steel you find in case XX knives to SS super steels..
Practice until you can work up a burr then strop it on a loaded leather strop..You can touch up a knife in minutes to hair popping sharp..
When I make a new knife I usually sharpen it on a set of water stones and send it out with a really nice shiny crazy sharp edge that "wow's" the buyer.. For my personal knives I usually sharpen on a diamond plate and strop.. Except kitchen knives I take them to a finer edge..
I use the same DMT, it's the best I've ever used