Look at this Tap Root

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South

Our friend @aaronc came to visit me this morning and left with 3 Hickory Seedlings (The Baseball Size Nuts) and we picked up about 25 large nuts for planting also.
One tree had around 75 nuts on it this year and the Squirrels got several....2 Squirrels were KIA in the highway coming to the trees.
The ground is So DRY that the dirt just crumbled away, but I think they will be OK.

It was very nice to Meet you and Thanks for the Dunstan Chestnuts which I am going to Plant a bit later.

How can a sprout 6" tall have an 18" tap root?????

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield

Our friend @aaronc came to visit me this morning and left with 3 Hickory Seedlings (The Baseball Size Nuts) and we picked up about 25 large nuts for planting also.
One tree had around 75 nuts on it this year and the Squirrels got several....2 Squirrels were KIA in the highway coming to the trees.
The ground is So DRY that the dirt just crumbled away, but I think they will be OK.

It was very nice to Meet you and Thanks for the Dunstan Chestnuts which I am going to Plant a bit later.

How can a sprout 6" tall have an 18" tap root?????

Your more than welcome on the Dunstan's. I'll update on seedlings tomorrow.

I know JR has already thrown up a pic next to a baseball for size comparison but I'm gonna throw one up too. I was wandering after I seen these in person if I would have thought I had seen them before, even years ago when I was younger...but nope. If so, I don't remember it. Also the trees themselves are different enough that they are distinguishable from other hickory's IMO..at least the ones I have in my yard of roughly the same age. JR has these King Hickorys figured out...and here is why they call'em the king. I didn't go through my box to pick out the biggest, just grabbed a goodun that was laying on top.

I enjoyed the visit JR, you and your talented better half are simply fine and decent southern folk. It was my pleasure meeting both of you. - Aaron
20221020_144242resize35.jpg

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
That's a big nut! Was sitting in the stand the other nite and they were falling off the tree into the pond! I thought I was being bombed! JR do they have a shagbark or shellback or a pignut type of bark on the tree?

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
That's a big nut! Was sitting in the stand the other nite and they were falling off the tree into the pond! I thought I was being bombed! JR do they have a shagbark or shellback or a pignut type of bark on the tree?
They are smooth Until about 11 years old THEN turn Shaggy when they are ready to Bear Nuts. Mine had a few nuts at about age 13.
This year a couple of the oldest ones had many nuts.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I too made the trip. @aaronc already said it all but i enjoyed meeting @JR in KY and a few members of his family. Well worth the trip for the face to face meet alone.
I sure hope I’m able to get most of these to take and can’t tell you how excited I’ll be if/when they bud in the spring. Very cool tree that I just was not familiar with. I’ll probably plant a few on all my properties.

Last edited:

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
That's a damn hand grenade, I bet the squirrels are foundered.
I squirrel hunted 2 big king nuts as a boy. The trees were probably 70-80 feet tall. Unlike a regular hickory where the squirrel would scamper to get another nut every few minutes and expose its location, I would sit under these trees for hours never seeing a squirrel with cuttings raining down on me the whole time.