Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

childersb24

8 pointer
Mar 25, 2010
Need to open up furbearer season longer , make bob cat season open all year like coyotes, and need to go down to 1 bird per person. I’m glad fish and wildlife are at least closing fall hunting and going to 1 bird per wma. It will help but not fast enough IMO.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
With lots more hunters and those long range snipers loads!
It's easy to see we have a problem, now what are they going to do about it?
I bet poaching is way up, with the price of meat being as it is. Probably Deer poaching is up too. :(

Last edited:

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
In the nightmares of turkeys
Need to open up furbearer season longer , make bob cat season open all year like coyotes, and need to go down to 1 bird per person. I’m glad fish and wildlife are at least closing fall hunting and going to 1 bird per wma. It will help but not fast enough IMO.
They're not closing fall season. Not even proposing a limit reduction in the fall. Only saying that the 4 birds harvested must all be bearded!

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky

I would advise all to hunt. If your local population seems sparse call em in, have them give you a show, and let em walk. Do what you want, but consider it. If meat is what your after give hawk or owl a try.

Last edited:

turk2di

Cyber-Hunter
Feb 25, 2003
evansville, ind
While the numbers are down, we were warned , even when we were hitting 36k, that the numbers were gonna fall to a more realistic capacity carrying range! That was several years ago! Throw in the 2020 pandemic when the woods were as full of hunters as ever due to nobody going to work and it’s not a stretch to see 2022 being a low number. I’ve personally, in my 33 seasons now, have never seen as many jakes as I have seen this spring ! While some Calipari tweaking can be done, hitting the panic button is a tad early! Afterall, many many states would love to boast 26k birds👍

PUBLIC RAT

10 pointer
Feb 18, 2014
So the list I take from all the threads so far.
-predators,includes bobcats,snakes,raccoons etc.
-field mowing
-pesticides
-rain/temps
-poaching
-logging/new subdivisions
Any others I forgot please post.
Some of these we definitely can improve on our own. Others we have no control at all. I looked back at temperatures from May 2 years ago and we had some 20 degree cold snaps. I looked at last year and we did not have severe cold in may/June. Lots of talk about seeing jakes this year. So far we've had cool April and average may temps, so I believe with all the stuff we can control and if temps stay average this years jakes will be 2 years old next year with a bump on hatch this year.

Apr 19, 2012
Harlan, county
It’s no secret, the predators are way out of hand. No one hardly traps or hunts them. Coons are a problem as well. Need a bounty put on coyotes,and bobcats. It will take years for the population to rebound with even a good action plan. So many states are in the same boat. It could possibly be some sort of disease that could had took a toll on our birds.

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
So... show me the ratio of harvested birds compared to licenses sold over the last several years.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I'm not seeing a decline.

Did I get a Tom this year? Nope, but I only hunted 4 days and was happy to take my 84 year old uncle out. He doesn't get around well at all so we took the Ranger to our sets and that certainly had an effect on them. We seen a mess of hens and jakes. Had a persistent chorus of gobbling all morning long on each trip. And... let's just say he's not the best caller. Stuck my head out of the blind once to get a good listen. Quack!!! He thought it was his crow call. We both got a heck of a laugh out of that.

Successful season for me? Absolutely!

Feedman

Cyber-Hunter
May 28, 2003
In the basement
So... show me the ratio of harvested birds compared to licenses sold over the last several years.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I'm not seeing a decline.

Did I get a Tom this year? Nope, but I only hunted 4 days and was happy to take my 84 year old uncle out. He doesn't get around well at all so we took the Ranger to our sets and that certainly had an effect on them. We seen a mess of hens and jakes. Had a persistent chorus of gobbling all morning long on each trip. And... let's just say he's not the best caller. Stuck my head out of the blind once to get a good listen. Quack!!! He thought it was his crow call. We both got a heck of a laugh out of that.

Successful season for me? Absolutely!

wasCongratulation,
You do have plenty of birds. Those pictures are the good ole days for me. We don't have those numbers anymore .

Latest posts