Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

GrandSlammer

8 pointer
May 14, 2009
Right where I wanna be!
I thought you said you were done.
I am done debating what I was involved in. We agreed on some things and disagreed on some things. No point in going back and forth about it over and over.
Baiting is a whole different topic that is hilarious.

But thank you so much for your totally pointless and worthless post just trying to keep things stirred up. Yet another guy on here why so many have left

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I am done debating what I was involved in. We agreed on some things and disagreed on some things. No point in going back and forth about it over and over.
Baiting is a whole different topic that is hilarious.

But thank you so much for your totally pointless and worthless post just trying to keep things stirred up. Yet another guy on here why so many have left
Come on dude. Lighten up.

GrandSlammer

8 pointer
May 14, 2009
Right where I wanna be!
57DB6119-0952-4110-BAEB-0CB3D0E4E17B.png

Here what our state biologist has to say about it

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
You're nuts. I don't know what year it was made legal, but I know for a fact it was legal in the 70's. I'll find out.
From KDFWR, concerning baiting deer in KY;

Checked with our senior deer biologist, and he believes baiting was legal beginning with the first deer hunt in 1956.

bluegrasser

6 pointer
Apr 23, 2003
West Nile wiped out the grouse. And it or some other type of disease is having a major effect on the turkey population IMO. Northern states likePennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota have acknowledged this and are researching it.
Meanwhile kdfwr keep preaching habitat, habitat, habitat I say BS.
Habitat hasn’t changed in places that were full of grouse and turkey. I trap to try to control predators which have an effect no doubt. But anyone who has hunted up north knows they have WAY more predators and WAY more birds.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Spike
Apr 6, 2007
SW Indiana
I’ve never known anyone to shoot a turkey off the roost (day or night). Does that really happen? Seems like anytime I’ve gotten within rifle range (let alone shotgun range) they are busting the hell out of there. I can count the times on one hand that I’ve slipped in on one that was roosted over me. But I didn’t know they were there till they flew down.
It happens or I wouldn't have said it.

Jack Ryan

Spike
Apr 6, 2007
SW Indiana
I'll jump in here, one phone call doesn't do anything in most of the state. In fact, I've called twice, talked to different wardens and even sent them proof with pictures of things that went on during deer season and they didn't do shit about it. Of course I'm not talking about them all but I'm just giving my personal experience.
Same as mine. Call the law on a poacher set up with a bait pile and all you accomplish is making a big pile of ground off limits to YOUR SELF.

Jack Ryan

Spike
Apr 6, 2007
SW Indiana
Why not? Over 1000 hens are killed in the Fall every year.
That would mean 1000 more hens in the breeding pool each Spring. 1000 hens X 12 eggs = 12000 more eggs. 40% hatch rate = 4800 poults. Of the 4800, 25% survival rate, so 1200 more poults each year on average. It definitely wouldn't hurt. If nothing else, eliminate killing of hens entirely.
Just because you don't shoot those don't mean they will survive the winter to spring. Ten times that many probably die because they go to someone's back yard bird feeder every day for the wife and kids to ooo and ah over. Make a picture to post on the internet. You have to shoot them there, just coming to it every day will get them killed. Coyotes, bobcats, the neighborhood dogs none of them are so stupid they don't notice turkey dinner is being served up there every day.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Just because you don't shoot those don't mean they will survive the winter to spring. Ten times that many probably die because they go to someone's back yard bird feeder every day for the wife and kids to ooo and ah over. Make a picture to post on the internet. You have to shoot them there, just coming to it every day will get them killed. Coyotes, bobcats, the neighborhood dogs none of them are so stupid they don't notice turkey dinner is being served up there every day.
If they are shot, they 100% will not survive the winter.

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
It happens or I wouldn't have said it.
Well there you go. I personally have known a bunch of people growing up that absolutely would have killed a turkey on the roost. 100% would have shot him dead as Abe Lincoln. Not one of them ever did. I just don't think there is that much opportunity... Day or night. How many turkeys do you think we lose to day and night roost shooting annually? Ballpark.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Well there you go. I personally have known a bunch of people growing up that absolutely would have killed a turkey on the roost. 100% would have shot him dead as Abe Lincoln. Not one of them ever did. I just don't think there is that much opportunity... Day or night. How many turkeys do you think we lose to day and night roost shooting annually? Ballpark.
Not near as many that are taken off the roost by bobcats...............

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I’ve actually witnessed on several occasions bobcats stalking my decoys. Coyotes too. Coyotes aren’t as good a climber though so I figure they don’t account for many dead roosted turkeys😂
I've had cats and yotes both stalk my dekes. I've killed several yotes like that. Had one cat stalking me calling. We made eye contact at about 20 yards, poof, gone like the wind.