Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

Apr 19, 2012
Harlan, county
Be thankful you have a population of birds like that to hunt. We put in many boot miles to hear very few birds with minimal turkey sign. Definitely a problem we’re I hunt but I would imagine nothing much will be done.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
This was my most successful season to date, hunted 3 mornings killed 2 gobblers. But I’d be a fool to say that I haven’t seen a decline. Use to I could go anywhere I had permission to hunt and you would hear birds with good potential of killing one. Now you have to go to the few places turkeys are anymore. Not near as many places holding turkeys.

As far as helping the population, I’d like to see a longer trapping season, with year round hunting on predators. Open night hunting year round for all predators, except during deer firearms season. And would love to see some kind of small bounty on predators. But that’s all a stretch.

It wouldn’t bother me to see bag limits go down, like 1 in spring 2 in fall.

As far as mowing is concerned I think it’s a great idea and Would help a lot but no way to control it and 90% of farmers aren’t going to wait to cut. When the weather is right, they are gonna cut. Cows before turkeys.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
My spots have all declined that are tillable. All coincided with the spray kill and drill method. 5 farms that had plenty of birds until they went to crops from hay/pasture.
I asked that ? To 2 guys that we met in Mexico on our occelated trip. 1 guy was big time farmer the other was a salesman of all that stuff.
And they both said no. So idk but it makes sense to me. I’m thinkin same thing as you.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I asked that ? To 2 guys that we met in Mexico on our occelated trip. 1 guy was big time farmer the other was a salesman of all that stuff.
And they both said no. So idk but it makes sense to me. I’m thinkin same thing as you.
Hatchlings need insects from the moment they hatch. That shit kills everything. No bugs, dead birds. I've seen the effect first hand, on multiple farms.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I hunted 8 days, well, 7 actually. Daddy and I didn't get out of the truck Saturday. 3 of the 7 days, I never even setup on a bird.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
What stuff? Round up? Liberty? Pretty sure neither kill insects at an alarming rate. Pretty sure those critters keep right on going.
Whatever they spray to kill prior to planting. It kills everything. No more bugs. If you don’t believe me, take a walk through a sprayed field a couple days after it’s sprayed. You won’t see a single insect. You also won’t see a single turkey in one until it’s tilled.

Reactions: E72

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Whatever they spray to kill prior to planting. It kills everything. No more bugs. If you don’t believe me, take a walk through a sprayed field a couple days after it’s sprayed. You won’t see a single insect. You also won’t see a single turkey in one until it’s tilled.
Disagree. It’s an enzyme that disrupts plant photosynthesis. It’s non toxic. Nothing more. While I admit insect activity may be slightly disrupted, farmers are also forced to
spray insecticide annually because round up aint the cure-all. Would Kind be cool if it was though. I’ve definitely seen turkey in fields that have been sprayed. Also, spraying and tilling makes no sense? That’s just a waste of money.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I defend no till…..but ultimately I find myself kinda always defaulting back to conventional tillage agriculture. Don’t know why. Just seems to work better for the farmer that way.

JR PORTER

10 pointer
May 1, 2014
KNOTT CO. KY
15 years ago it was nothing to go out and see as many as 50 to 75 turkeys in one day. Flocks of 25 to 30 in several places. Now I go out and might see 2 or 3 birds if I’m lucky. Coyotes bobcats and coons are everywhere. I kill 1 or 2 coyotes a year but that’s just a drop in the bucket. I don’t know anyone who traps nor have I seen anyone trapping . Plus bears are quite common here too. No doubt they come across birds nesting and would destroy the eggs too . We had some bears just last night get in our garbage bin carried off 3 bags of garbage scattering garbage all over the hillside. Gotta make put some lids for them in the next few days for sure. That’s the first time it’s happened to us but I’ve seen them carrying garbage into the woods on State Rt 7 late at night before. In the past 2 years I’ve never seen the first poult in the spring. Deer population has been down here too. Even the Elk have gone. Don’t even see many people hunting either. Don’t know what’s going on.

Latest posts