Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

buckchaser

8 pointer
Jan 11, 2003
Ky, USA.
I hunted 8 days, well, 7 actually. Daddy and I didn't get out of the truck Saturday. 3 of the 7 days, I never even setup on a bird.
I hunted harder this year than I have in several years. After work for 4 hours every hunt. Not sure how many days I hunted but about every day the weather was good I was out. Never set up on a single gobbler all year long. Never saw a single gobbler all season long. Saw 5 hens and 3 jakes. At the end of season I was walking over 5 miles each trip according to my phone. It has been by far the toughest season I have seen.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Disagree. It’s an enzyme that disrupts plant photosynthesis. It’s non toxic. Nothing more. While I admit insect activity may be slightly disrupted, farmers are also forced to
spray insecticide annually because round up aint the cure-all. Would Kind be cool if it was though. I’ve definitely seen turkey in fields that have been sprayed. Also, spraying and tilling makes no sense? That’s just a waste of money.
Disagree all you want. But what they spray here kills the bugs. Birds don’t use the sprayed fields. No food. And many farms around here spray then till.

cedar creek

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
Need to open up furbearer season longer , make bob cat season open all year like coyotes, and need to go down to 1 bird per person. I’m glad fish and wildlife are at least closing fall hunting and going to 1 bird per wma. It will help but not fast enough IMO.
I enjoy the fall season, I hope they don’t kill it out completely

Dec 8, 2020
Perry
Since highest harvest in 2010 of 36,097 and lowest was in 2018 of 27,210. 2022 saw a harvest of 26,624. Lowest in 12 years. https://www.paducahsun.com/news/at-...cle_489e4fbd-2ea2-555e-ab36-7f7ef7c648e9.html
Don’t put much stock in the numbers. Ever since turkey season started guys never call their kills in. Same as deer. Way more turkey killed than is reported. I have not heard the first turkey gobble this year. That is very strange. We do have several forest fires every spring and I’d assume lots of eggs are destroyed.

Dec 8, 2020
Perry
It’s no secret, the predators are way out of hand. No one hardly traps or hunts them. Coons are a problem as well. Need a bounty put on coyotes,and bobcats. It will take years for the population to rebound with even a good action plan. So many states are in the same boat. It could possibly be some sort of disease that could had took a toll on our birds.
I wonder if turkeys get the bird diseases as chick

cedar creek

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
Disagree all you want. But what they spray here kills the bugs. Birds don’t use the sprayed fields. No food. And many farms around here spray then
I've tried to find enjoyment in it but just can't seem to get into it. Glad you enjoy it though.
If you can find the flock in the fall and pattern them out it’s fun, they are very vocal and can learn a lot from watching them meander through the woods, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if they canceled it because those days are over with the big flocks my area, would probably help them out but not many are killed in the fall anyway

hitch

10 pointer
Jan 16, 2008
Then why in the hell aren‘t you turning them in? Turning your back is only slightly better than being the poacher. One phone call and you could stop it.

Recurve78

Spike
Jan 13, 2006
In Hart and Edmonson I heard the fewest # of shots and fewest # of gobbling birds that I have ever heard in the 23 years we have owned our farm. I am starting to wander if it is possibly disease related also. I know the predators are bad news but it just seems there is something different going on the past few years.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
In Hart and Edmonson I heard the fewest # of shots and fewest # of gobbling birds that I have ever heard in the 23 years we have owned our farm. I am starting to wander if it is possibly disease related also. I know the predators are bad news but it just seems there is something different going on the past few years.
Too many strutter dekes and reaping, lol.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Then you know some guys that need turned in, that’s unacceptable! That’s not a sportsman, and knowing about something that bad and not turning it in is not sportsman like either.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
Never hunted the last weekend, I killed on bird and felt the population was so sad I would leave what was around for seed.
I ended up not hunting last weekend either. Going to but didn’t.
I went to Walmart to get my mother a perrinial flower for mothers and also ended up buying 2 chestnut trees and went to farm and planted them. Hope they survive.

Latest posts