Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
@pentail really had a good article, and it pinpoints the Problems. However, there may not be many solutions that are feasible. I don't spray pesticides, Kill all the Predators I can (at my age) and the numbers keep going down.
Hay machinery takes a toll on the Hens....I killed one last year for the first time in several years. Early Hay Cutting (Like Right Now) kills a lot of hens. The poult survivability is about what I figured....Hens are Terrible Moms.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
@pentail really had a good article, and it pinpoints the Problems. However, there may not be many solutions that are feasible. I don't spray pesticides, Kill all the Predators I can (at my age) and the numbers keep going down.
Hay machinery takes a toll on the Hens....I killed one last year for the first time in several years. Early Hay Cutting (Like Right Now) kills a lot of hens. The poult survivability is about what I figured....Hens are Terrible Moms.
The worst mothers I've ever seen in nature, besides maybe a wood duck

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
We have a few turkeys, a few gobbling, can't compare it to years past as we weren't turkey hunting. Wife, son and I didn't shoot anything this year. I wasnt going to shoot a bird hoping wife or son would. Wife could have shot a jake but passed. Our habitat has not changed in 40 years, last time timbered.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Also, if you feed wildlife, even if is corn piles thru the fall, and your not killing nest raiders, your part of the problem.
Well, I'd like to hear this explanation since the overwhelming majority of private land deer hunters have done this for basically ever, and the turkey population is just now taking a hit? Did the nest raiders finally take over?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
eliminating the fall season won't help anything
Why not? Over 1000 hens are killed in the Fall every year.
That would mean 1000 more hens in the breeding pool each Spring. 1000 hens X 12 eggs = 12000 more eggs. 40% hatch rate = 4800 poults. Of the 4800, 25% survival rate, so 1200 more poults each year on average. It definitely wouldn't hurt. If nothing else, eliminate killing of hens entirely.

Last edited:

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Why not? Over 1000 hens are killed in the Fall every year. That would mean 1000 more hens to the breeding pool each Spring.
Statewide that equals to 8 hens per county, will saving 8 hens per county get us back to where we were? If so, I'm all for it

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Although I don't disagree that any help would be good, I don't think eliminating fall season would be significant by the numbers. Just looking at my county, Muhlenberg, we're usually near the top in harvests each spring, and a quick Google search shows Muhlenberg County at 479 square miles, so if we kill 8 hens per year in the fall, that's an average of 1 hen saved per 60 square miles. How much will that really help?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Although I don't disagree that any help would be good, I don't think eliminating fall season would be significant by the numbers. Just looking at my county, Muhlenberg, we're usually near the top in harvests each spring, and a quick Google search shows Muhlenberg County at 479 square miles, so if we kill 8 hens per year in the fall, that's an average of 1 hen saved per 60 square miles. How much will that really help?
Pokt beat me to it.........

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
NWTF says the population in the entire country is between 6-6.2 million. I'd love to eliminate fall season and have over a billion in KY in 10 years by Pokt's numbers. For some reason my math ain't adding up today.....

ribsplitter

Cyber-Hunter
Jan 19, 2004
Greenup, ky, USA.
Why not? Over 1000 hens are killed in the Fall every year.
That would mean 1000 more hens in the breeding pool each Spring. 1000 hens X 12 eggs = 12000 more eggs. 40% hatch rate = 4800 poults. Of the 4800, 25% survival rate, so 1200 more poults each year on average. It definitely wouldn't hurt. If nothing else, eliminate killing of hens entirely.
You need to also factor in predation on those 1000 hens. Predation vs hunters taking them out before spring nesting.

Why would we want to totally eliminate fall turkey hunting?

There’s quite a few measures to take before that - decrease the number of tags in fall, make it a male only fall kill season, decrease the number of spring tags to 1, no bearded hens killed in any season, etc.