Lowest harvest totals in last 12 years

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
I'm not biting on the carrying capacity thing, sorry. Most of our birds came from Missouri back in the day. Missouri has always had vast amounts of turkeys, even back when Ky's flock was about limited to LBL. Now even that magical stronghold of turkeys is seeing diminished numbers. Something else is going on and it can’t be magically explained away as carrying capacity.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Why would we want to totally eliminate fall turkey hunting?

There’s quite a few measures to take before that - decrease the number of tags in fall, make it a male only fall kill season, decrease the number of spring tags to 1, no bearded hens killed in any season, etc.
I love to hunt the fall season but don’t take hens anymore out of choice and hopes it helps the population. I’d personally love to see it made illegal to take a bearded hen at any time.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I love to hunt the fall season but don’t take hens anymore out of choice and hopes it helps the population. I’d personally love to see it made illegal to take a bearded hen at any time.
Be hard to enforce. Like not killing antlered does.

EasyE

Spike
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
I like your management plan to improve your property, the only thing I would add is to plant some sawtooth oaks, the deer and turkey love them and they'll produce good mast in a few short years. Also, if you have an acre or 2 to plant some white clover, I'd also do that, it's easy to take care of and deer and turkey love it and it's really easy to maintain.
I have planted some saw tooth oak, and have 3 acres of durana/chicory. Also have some chestnut trees and chinquapin chestnut trees, it will be a few years but 3 of them are about 7-10’ hopefully I get a few nuts to start a few trees this year. Last fall I planted 50 chinquapin oak acorns and had about 12 come up. My new plant I discovered is a dwarf chinquapin oak, I just got 4 in, and from what I’ve been reading it’s a good one.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
If you can’t tell the difference in a bearded hen and a gobbler then you don’t need to be turkey hunting.
You do realize there are tons of newbies that hunt every year, and there are many that have never killed a turkey. They probably wouldn't know the difference.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
No excuse. If you don’t know the difference you don’t need to be in the woods.
Know your target and what is beyond.
Like I said. People get shot every year. There are tons of people that have no business being in the woods every year. Cancelling bearded hens would result in lots of birds killed and not checked in. Just being realistic

GrandSlammer

8 pointer
May 14, 2009
Right where I wanna be!
Like I said. People get shot every year. There are tons of people that have no business being in the woods every year. Cancelling bearded hens would result in lots of birds killed and not checked in. Just being realistic
I’m not calling you out by any means. I just think it’s insane that anything should be changed. All this talk is just pure media, mainly social media, driven.
2022 harvest numbers are just 2000 birds below the last 23 year average for the state of KY. I never heard a single person say we need to make changes during the 2000-2009 seasons when those numbers were basically the same, or less, as the numbers this year.
If a person is not hearing birds where they hunt, go hunt somewhere else, the birds are out there.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I’m not calling you out by any means. I just think it’s insane that anything should be changed. All this talk is just pure media, mainly social media, driven.
2022 harvest numbers are just 2000 birds below the last 23 year average for the state of KY. I never heard a single person say we need to make changes during the 2000-2009 seasons when those numbers were basically the same, or less, as the numbers this year.
If a person is not hearing birds where they hunt, go hunt somewhere else, the birds are out there.
I don't give a rat's ass if you call me out. If you think it's media driven, you must live in a cave. People, state wide-no, nation wide, have been complaining about low bird numbers for 5 years or longer. It's blatantly obvious. Driving around, you just don't see birds like you used to. As for 23 year average, that goes back to early days when seasons first opened, we had to quit at noon, and season was a week shorter. Nobody complained 2000-2009 because numbers were increasing. We hit 36000 in 2010, which was incredible.

GrandSlammer

8 pointer
May 14, 2009
Right where I wanna be!
I don't give a rat's ass if you call me out. If you think it's media driven, you must live in a cave. People, state wide-no, nation wide, have been complaining about low bird numbers for 5 years or longer. It's blatantly obvious. Driving around, you just don't see birds like you used to. As for 23 year average, that goes back to early days when seasons first opened, we had to quit at noon, and season was a week shorter. Nobody complained 2000-2009 because numbers were increasing. We hit 36000 in 2010, which was incredible.
I’ll agree there are less birds than 5 years ago, but not to the point drastic measures need to be taken. And 23 years ago is not the “early days” of season in KY. I used 23 years because that’s all that KDFWR had on their website. Season was in around 20 years before that too. And guess what, it was a 2 bird limit then too when we never even hit 20,000 a year. We were told when our numbers peaked to not get used to it. Those were “the good ole days”. There are plenty of birds in this state to hunt. The birds adapt and change. I can take you to 3-4 farms that years ago were loaded with birds. Not a bird on them now. If those farms were the only place I hunted, I could be one of them that gets on here and cries about low bird numbers. I can also take you to 3-4 farms that years ago never had a bird on them and now are loaded with birds. Birds change, you want to kill them, you have to change too

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I’ll agree there are less birds than 5 years ago, but not to the point drastic measures need to be taken. And 23 years ago is not the “early days” of season in KY. I used 23 years because that’s all that KDFWR had on their website. Season was in around 20 years before that too. And guess what, it was a 2 bird limit then too when we never even hit 20,000 a year. We were told when our numbers peaked to not get used to it. Those were “the good ole days”. There are plenty of birds in this state to hunt. The birds adapt and change. I can take you to 3-4 farms that years ago were loaded with birds. Not a bird on them now. If those farms were the only place I hunted, I could be one of them that gets on here and cries about low bird numbers. I can also take you to 3-4 farms that years ago never had a bird on them and now are loaded with birds. Birds change, you want to kill them, you have to change too
Actually, 23 years ago was pretty much the early days of turkey hunting. We'd had a season statewide for under 10 years at that time. Other than Butler county and LBL, there was no turkey hunting in the state until '89 or so. I'm very happy for you in having good places to hunt. I too have pretty good places to hunt. But to say our numbers aren't down dramatically in the last 5 years is disingenuous at best. I don't think anybody is crying about low numbers, they're just speaking up and saying we have a problem. Just like millions of other hunters across the country.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
Most people just can’t “go somewhere else” and hunt. Seasons prior to the mid 1990’s is what your pointing out, comical. 90’s was the early days. It’s definitely not “media driven”, if you think so then that tells me all I need to know about how much you’re hunting and talking to fellow hunters about turkey hunting. I honestly think about 99% of your entire post was horseshit. May add you to the ole huntress of light dimension of the board.

Latest posts