Maple removal cut down or hack and squirt?

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
I’m gonna go really open up the edge of the roads through the woods. Ton of maples so those will be getting the brunt of my efforts.

Q. Do you all believe chain saw and let them fall and spray stump OR hack and squirt and walk away OR would anyone hinge cut?

my though would be better and more immediate impact to cut all way down and spray stump. Would think hinge cut isn’t good idea Bc tree produce more maples which is a negative.

rlb165

12 pointer
Dec 10, 2001
Personally, it would be hard for me to spray any stumps, because of how much browse they make when they sprout. Deer eat ‘em up here.
AE25D0F3-F536-400A-8098-E7BABC283145.png
E10C6173-B98C-4E1B-87FF-6948A2608744.jpeg
20E7F45B-4645-445B-84CE-5B1F2E7A91CC.jpeg

As far as hinge cutting vs hack and squirt, I would probably hack and squirt anything too big to hinge safely, then hinge the rest.

Back in July, I opened up a little spot in our woods, mostly with hinge cutting.
EA288068-0237-424E-BB9D-A78966FA23B6.jpeg

We hung a stand 20 yards to the right of where I was standing when I took this picture. The hinged tree tops will help keep deer from getting downwind of us if the wind is from the south.

We hung a camera close to where I took the above pic. This is the first picture we’ve ever got where we hung a camera for the sole purpose of seeing deer eating native browse.
They’re mostly eating greenbrier, which is growing up around the edges of the brush piles we left.
F3630352-6864-4120-ACA9-26A8DCB9942D.jpeg

Last edited:

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
Personally, it would be hard for me to spray any stumps, because of how much browse they make when they sprout. Deer eat ‘em up here. View attachment 92645 View attachment 92644 View attachment 92643
As far as hinge cutting vs hack and squirt, I would probably hack and squirt anything too big to hinge safely, then hinge the rest.

Back in July, I opened up a little spot in our woods, mostly with hinge cutting.
View attachment 92646
We hung a stand 20 yards to the right of where I was standing when I took this picture. The hinged tree tops will help keep deer from getting downwind of us if the wind is from the south.

We hung a camera close to where I took the above pic. This is the first picture we’ve ever got where we hung a camera for the sole purpose of seeing deer eating native browse.
They’re mostly eating greenbrier, which is growing up around the edges of the brush piles we left.
View attachment 92647

Good points great pic!!

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I’m gonna go really open up the edge of the roads through the woods. Ton of maples so those will be getting the brunt of my efforts.

Q. Do you all believe chain saw and let them fall and spray stump OR hack and squirt and walk away OR would anyone hinge cut?

my though would be better and more immediate impact to cut all way down and spray stump. Would think hinge cut isn’t good idea Bc tree produce more maples which is a negative.

If you are referring to an actual road for vehicles, no question a chainsaw for a controlled drop, and with flaggers who also know what they are doing; then grind the stumps.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I'm always leery about killing a standing tree. I'd rather drop it right then and there or hinge cut it. Enough dead ash trees and pines on our farm that I'm already worried about a tree or limb dropping on my head. That's just me.

Last edited:

EasyE

Spike
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
I have a few more maples targeted to cut down this year. I will allow the stump to live based on what others have said. A few things I have learned since I started is
1 making hinge cuts low so the deer can benefit from the stump sprouts longer.
2 the deer wore out ash tree and sassafras tree stump sprouts.
I wish people would share more things like this,so it would help me to determine what trees to spray and what trees to keep living.

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY

I cut and kill the stump, cut and leave stump alive, hinge cut some, and hack and squirt. You can cover a lot more ground with the hack hammer.

G

EasyE

Spike
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
I went into a area where I hinge cut last winter to dress up around a persimmon tree. I hinge cut 2 big maple trees last year, so I walked around them to see if the deer had been eating them. Every tip they could reach had been nipped off.

Latest posts