Mast situation?

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
First one of the season the other day. Killed another right after in hickories.. saw several more but too far away. That’s a 20ga Charles Daly I’ve had for almost 20 years. Bought it because it has a cherekoted barrel and aluminum frame, synthetic stock. Didn’t have to worry about busting brush with it

Attachments

• E0185331-B0F9-4259-9155-7A32C9A7C2E5.jpeg
    E0185331-B0F9-4259-9155-7A32C9A7C2E5.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 34

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
I've seen night and day differences in oak stands a half a mile apart before. Not sure why but it happens.
Sometimes I wonder if there is an infestation of insects or worms that take a toll on Hickory and/or Oak acorns. I am finding several acorns and small hickory nuts with a worm hole in the shells.

JGD

6 pointer
Feb 3, 2008
Nelson County
Hunted this past weekend even though the weather was awful. Didn't locate many squirrels and only killed 3. The Shagbarks looked cut out for the most part. Still saw a few in Bitternut. I did see one cutting a Chestnut Oak and Tulip Poplar. From past experience when squirrels turn to Chestnut Oaks or deer too for that matter, there is not a lot of anything else for them. But, I've seen and heard of White Oaks being loaded in some locals.

John

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Hunted this past weekend even though the weather was awful. Didn't locate many squirrels and only killed 3. The Shagbarks looked cut out for the most part. Still saw a few in Bitternut. I did see one cutting a Chestnut Oak and Tulip Poplar. From past experience when squirrels turn to Chestnut Oaks or deer too for that matter, there is not a lot of anything else for them. But, I've seen and heard of White Oaks being loaded in some locals.

John
I haven't seen many Squirrels either, John. Earlier, I though the mast crop: Hickory, Beech, & Walnut would be excellent, since we didn't have any late freezes this year. The only mast I see is White Oak Acorns, and that is where you'll find Squirrels. I believe we have an insect pest (Bore) issue here in Central Kentucky, as I've seen many unripe Hickory nuts back in Mid-July with small boreholes. I've never seen a year where we didn't have Walnuts, and believe the insects got to the forming Walnuts in an early stage of development.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I've been laid up in bed sick all day yesterday (got the damn COVID) and decided to drag my carcass out of bed and go for a little walk this morning. I've never heard more squirrels cutting nuts in all my life. It was literally raining cuttings everywhere, all hickory. I very much wanted to go back to the house and get a gun but I knew I wouldn't feel up to cleaning them.
Hope you recover quickly!

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Ive been sick all weekend, havnt got to hunt since Thursday.. Ran a temp for 2-3 days, doc swore it was covid but test was neg.. Im getting over it now so Im gonna hit it tomorrow..

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
Ive been sick all weekend, havnt got to hunt since Thursday.. Ran a temp for 2-3 days, doc swore it was covid but test was neg.. Im getting over it now so Im gonna hit it tomorrow..
I tested negative the first few days I was sick. I think my nose was so dry the tests didn't work. As soon as my sinuses starting running on day 3 I tested positive.

Latest posts