Mathews 2023

wolverine1

12 pointer
Oct 19, 2004
breckinridge county
I don’t know how many bows I’ve owned and set up, probably 40-50 at least over the past 10 years or so. I’ve found a bow with nearly every manufacturer, with the exception of a few, that I really like. All the big name companies, along with a couple smaller ones (Xpedition and Obsession) make some fine bows. I remember when Bow Tech came out, I owned their new flagship up until the Realm X or so, but I still played around with others. I didn’t care for any of Mathews slim line bows, got away from them until the Halon came out. Still love the Switchback for one of my all time favorites. I’m currently shooting the Halon 32-6 and it’s as fine a bow, for me, that I’ve shot and hunted with. I like the looks and concept of the Phase 4, but I’ll wait until they hit the classifieds of Archery Talk before I try one!!!! I NEVER buy new!

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
A bow hunter that really wants/needs a bow is going to find a way to get one even if it takes a year.

I just hate what they have done to new/potential bow hunters. They look at these prices and buy a crossbow. As long as they are hunting somehow it’s fine but it doesn’t make for a good business model if your into selling vertical bows.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
They put that rubber between the limbs to try to get them to stop splintering on the belly side. My black vertix is on its third set of limbs. All splinters in the center of the belly side of the limbs. Sure it’s going to reduce vibration a bit. But you can google Mathews limbs splintering, and see plenty of examples.
Will then if my limbs splinter maybe the phase 3 limbs will be available as warranty replacements.

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
I don’t know how many bows I’ve owned and set up, probably 40-50 at least over the past 10 years or so. I’ve found a bow with nearly every manufacturer, with the exception of a few, that I really like. All the big name companies, along with a couple smaller ones (Xpedition and Obsession) make some fine bows. I remember when Bow Tech came out, I owned their new flagship up until the Realm X or so, but I still played around with others. I didn’t care for any of Mathews slim line bows, got away from them until the Halon came out. Still love the Switchback for one of my all time favorites. I’m currently shooting the Halon 32-6 and it’s as fine a bow, for me, that I’ve shot and hunted with. I like the looks and concept of the Phase 4, but I’ll wait until they hit the classifieds of Archery Talk before I try one!!!! I NEVER buy new!
Problem with buying a used Mathews is they have raised the prices of replacement parts. Without the warranty something happens to your bow. By the time you pay to fix it you will have more in it than if you bought it new.

wolverine1

12 pointer
Oct 19, 2004
breckinridge county
Problem with buying a used Mathews is they have raised the prices of replacement parts. Without the warranty something happens to your bow. By the time you pay to fix it you will have more in it than if you bought it new.
I guess Ive been lucky, Ive never bought a used Mathews or any other for that matter, thats required replacement parts after I bought it.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I guess Ive been lucky, Ive never bought a used Mathews or any other for that matter, thats required replacement parts after I bought it.

I had to buy new limbs for my outback but i hit the tree stands shooting bar with bottom limb during a shot. So my fault anyway.
Im glad i bought new this go around as I’ll probably shoot this bow for 15-20 years before replacing with an xbow.

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
I had to buy new limbs for my outback but i hit the tree stands shooting bar with bottom limb during a shot. So my fault anyway.
Im glad i bought new this go around as I’ll probably shoot this bow for 15-20 years before replacing with an xbow.
Hopefully you don’t have any problems with your limbs. I shoot a lot and was using the 75 pound modules on my vertix. And I suspect this may be why they splinterd. The bow was pulling just shy of 79 pounds with the 75 mods. I have switched to 70 pound mods after the last set of limbs were installed. Also went to an arrow that’s 150 grains heavier. I ordered my v3x33 with the 65 pound modules. I will let you know if I have any more issues. Hopefully not.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Hopefully you don’t have any problems with your limbs. I shoot a lot and was using the 75 pound modules on my vertix. And I suspect this may be why they splinterd. The bow was pulling just shy of 79 pounds with the 75 mods. I have switched to 70 pound mods after the last set of limbs were installed. Also went to an arrow that’s 150 grains heavier. I ordered my v3x33 with the 65 pound modules. I will let you know if I have any more issues. Hopefully not.
I like mine at 65 and stepped it down.

hollandhunter

12 pointer
Feb 11, 2008
Holland Kentucky
I like mine at 65 and stepped it down.
I use to shoot 70-75lbs for years. Had a ol darton bow that was pushing 78lbs with 65 percebt let off. But father time eventually caught up with me. An after a few pulled muscles from drawing my bow on cold mornings after setting for hrs on end. I finally dialed it back a little. Im pulling 63 this year and i promise they will die just as quick. Shot placement beats speed and energy every time. Ha

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
I use to shoot 70-75lbs for years. Had a ol darton bow that was pushing 78lbs with 65 percebt let off. But father time eventually caught up with me. An after a few pulled muscles from drawing my bow on cold mornings after setting for hrs on end. I finally dialed it back a little. Im pulling 63 this year and i promise they will die just as quick. Shot placement beats speed and energy every time. Ha
I was mainly shooting the 75 pound 80 percent mods. To increase my holding weight a bit. I like 75 percent let off better than 80 or 85. Which is your only option on these bows. I shoot daily year round so shooting the higher weight has never caused an issue with accuracy or hunting in cold weather.

That is the greatest feature of the newer Mathews. Being able to go from 60 to 75 pounds. On one set of limbs. Without touching a limb bolt.

Giveem3outdoors

12 pointer
Jan 18, 2009
ohio county ky
I'm not exactly a big burly fellow, but I've always shot a 70lb bow. Last year when I bought my new bowtech solution. My archery shop talked me into trying a 60lb bow. Best move I've ever made. I've shot 3 with it so far and all have been clean pass throughs. Wish I'd of stepped down years ago.

Latest posts