My longest groundhog shot, so far

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
Yesterday I made my longest shot on a groundhog so far, 446 yards. My previous was 416 earlier this spring. I've also killed them at 360 and 400 this spring. My rifle is a 22-250 Savage Model 12FVSS in a Stockade Elk Stalker stock with a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 with a varmint hunter reticle. I load 55gr Sierra Gamekings over 36.0 grains of Varget. This rifle shoots them very well.

I missed a groundhog at 450 yards (same spot) last year so I set up a target there to learn my hold. I didn't miss this time ;).

KY Swamp Beagler

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2011
the swamps of western KY
Yesterday I made my longest shot on a groundhog so far, 446 yards. My previous was 416 earlier this spring. I've also killed them at 360 and 400 this spring. My rifle is a 22-250 Savage Model 12FVSS in a Stockade Elk Stalker stock with a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 with a varmint hunter reticle. I load 55gr Sierra Gamekings over 36.0 grains of Varget. This rifle shoots them very well.

I missed a groundhog at 450 yards (same spot) last year so I set up a target there to learn my hold. I didn't miss this time ;).

I've got the same rifle in the same caliber...sweet shooter!

1badDart

6 pointer
Oct 30, 2012
W. KY
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss shootin whistle pigs up north.

Probably ain't going to make it up there this year.

We have very few around us anymore.

There are not near as many as there used to be here. When I was a kid I'd ride around on weekends with my uncles and shoot them. It was not uncommon to kill 6-8 a day back then. Plus the farmers welcomed us to shoot them, not so much these days.

slobear

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2014
Trump town, USA
There are not near as many as there used to be here. When I was a kid I'd ride around on weekends with my uncles and shoot them. It was not uncommon to kill 6-8 a day back then. Plus the farmers welcomed us to shoot them, not so much these days.

I also remember those days when a farmer would give me the keys to his 4 wheeler (maybe second or third I ever sat on) and tell me to kill everyone I seen. I remember shooting them with everything from a 22 mag to a 30/06, depending on ammo availability. I distinctly remember field dressing one that was walking towards me with a 22-250. Looked like you took an old hickory butcher knife to a ripe watermelon.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Wiley Coyote eats them and makes a den out of his old home. Coyotes were extremely hard on the ground hog and red fox when they arrived in force in KY.

They have got smarter though; they are denning closer to human habitation now to try to lessen the Coyote threat. I have another nest of Ghogs in my barn again and I need to remove them.
YoYo kills so many Coyotes in his area that the Groundhogs are overrunning the Bluegrass now.