My Lovely Bluebirds

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
My bluebirds let their presence be well known yesterday. They prefer the grass to be freshly mowed. They always follow behind me, as I am mowing the property, picking off various insects hopping about, trying to escape the lawnmower.

I had not seen my bluebirds the past week, because I delayed giving the property its first cut of the season, simply because I don't like chilly weather, which caused all to grow quite high. My bluebirds consider such too much of a risk to dive down into, in order to hunt. Such causes them to choose various food elsewhere, whether it be dogwood tree berries or insects from various neighbors' freshly cut properties, located in the near vicinity.

When I took one of many breaks yesterday, a large, colorful male bluebird swooped down on the driveway, approximately 20 feet away from me, after having spotted a large insect. The beautiful guy was a bit watchful of me and my dogs, being that he has not seen us out and about much for many months now. Such did not deter his meal, though, and he sat there pecking at it, until it was no more.

That male wintered here and recognized us. It will take him a bit longer to become reaquainted, but he will become highly territorial, once the brood comes along. I checked his box again and all looks really good.

The nest is perfectly refurbished, deep-welled and clean. I am going to put some ant killer at the base of the wooden pole his box sits upon this week, in order to protect the babies, once they come along. I will be working into the soil, so that it does not harm my bluebirds. I don't imagine it will be too long now, before I see the first egg in the nest, and I must repair some of the other boxes, after acquiring some more wood.

Does anyone else have bluebird boxes on your property? They are my favorite songbirds. My father taught me how to properly attract them, because he loves them too, just not as much as he loves ducks.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Saw my male bluebird again today, while going near his box and checking two dogwoods located approximately ten feet from his nest, but I did not see his female. He flew up into a large hardwood tree, onto one of its low branches, and simply perched there watching me and my dog, from approximately 25 feet away.

I did not dally long. Hopefully I shall soon catch glimpse of his ladybird. I imagine she is around here somewhere, being that I saw her with him, as both initially began entering the box, not too long ago in time. It's simply been too chilly to stay outside long, in order to see her.

This is a good article about them from Mr. Art Landers. I found it while attempting to learn how early some are known to lay their first egg up here in Kentucky. I think it will be soon.

https://www.kyforward.com/art-lande...l-eastern-bluebird-helps-makes-april-special/

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
I hear they are not bad eating if you can get enough of them.

It is freezing outside today, with no end in sight per predictions. We are even forecast to drop to 34°F one night next week. I need to caulk their active nest box, as well as another one in which he is partial to, currently without nest and closer to the garage.

Once it warms again, my dogs will be out as a deterrent to the neighbor's outdoor tomcat, whom likes to venture over and into the naturalized area for free critter meals. My mean Siamese will be kept inside during fledging time, and so she will be of no use in keeping the prowling tomcat away. The bluebirds will dive bomb anything coming too close to the nest, once the brood nears fledging, but will be perfectly fine with us fairly near all, until then.

One dog is birdie by nature, and so he will need to be kept away during fledging, as well, while another is suitable for guarding. It just depends upon what my lovely bluebirds want. Time will tell, if the brood eventually comes along as expected.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Winner!!!!!

I have a clutch of five little blue eggs in the nest! I'm now a bonafide Bluebird Guardian Mommie in Kentucky! Shouldn't be too long, before I have the joy of following little baby bluebirds on the ground, while they learn to take their first brief hop-flights across the grass! Anything that comes remotely near them is not liking like it, at all. :)

I am sitting with my dogs directly in front of the garage, approximately 100' away from the eggs, as the proud parents tend to them. They are in Box 3, closest to the street, maybe 15' away from it and facing north, toward me, permitting me to easily monitor the parents behaviors. My dogs are currently chasing a couple having walked down the street past the back of the box, barking at their heels. They should soon begin to take a different route for exercise, lol. The male bluebird was beside the nest, perched in one of the dogwood sapplings 10' away from it, and he took off high into the large hardwood nearby it, when I gave my dogs the command. Both dogs have now diverted onto a white work truck having passed the box. When the various golf carts begin to venture by over the coming days, they will be chased off, as well. We are temporarily the nuisance of the subdivision, mission bound.:cool:

The male bluebird is a good father. When I first went to the box today, I knocked upon it, and he poked his head out, prior to quickly exiting. He was keeping the eggs warm, while the mother was away. I have seen both this morning.

They permitted me to caulk the box not long ago, as they dutifully watched. I am currently cutting a shingle to attached to the top of the box, being that we have a good chance of rain tonight. I will be attaching it with standard roofing nails, and it will overhang the sides and front per specifications. My dogs have returned to supervise my progress, while remaining upon high alert as to anything that moves. It's a great day, sunny for the moment. :cool:

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge
But but what if said ppl walking/ running down public highway close to your dambirds box( that you put to close to the road in the first place) start packing protection?
Geez I'm glad I live outta road sight at least from anyone that acts such as you:rolleyes:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
But but what if said ppl walking/ running down public highway close to your dambirds box( that you put to close to the road in the first place) start packing protection?
Geez I'm glad I live outta road sight at least from anyone that acts such as you:rolleyes:

Haha... it would not be a wise decision to pull anything on my dogs. They are well known to all within the s/d and won't do anything but herd all off, otherwise. I cannot wait for the neighbor's tomcat to come prowling over here again at night. He is a brave little tuxedo tom, and it's always like a Saturday morning cartoon, when they take chase after his fast little burly self, lol.

One lady stopped in the street earlier this week, pretending like she was concerned my dogs might get hit by a car, when they chased her vehicle. I told her they were too intelligent and not to worry; they would get out of her way. She then told me the commonwealth attorney ran over her Dachshund and killed it. I told her the man is a good friend of the family. She then rolled her eyes, telling me he ran over it and kept on driving. I don't know about all of that, nor her, but I shall be asking. He probably told her it should have been leashed. The dogs have simply been in all winter and are expending energy while socializing once again. They will bore with all, except the tomcat, soon enough.

The neighbor's oversized golden retriever I have been training clumsily followed them, tongue hanging out and tail happily wagging, like a nerd. The couple thought it was all pretty fun. I intend to put an active bluebird nest sign by the street, so that all know to remain clear. The kids will absolutely love it! I already have one of them extremely interested in all. The doves nest blew out of the redbud tree beside the garage, but I just saw both of them courting one another, with no idea where their new nest is, as of yet, but I shall be looking for it soon enough.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Voyeurism is illegal, you do know that right?

I was supposed to write down the last day that I checked the box, but I failed to do so. I shall check it again within the next 48 hours, in order to see if their might be additional eggs. All will give me a better idea as to when I can expect to see little beaks with closed eyes. It's been at least five days, since the first egg. I am trying to decide whether to momentarily pull the nest with eggs, as I attach the new shingle. I have done nest changes in the past with no issues, but it's been an active day for all. I may try one nail and see how easy it is to sink, being the wood is extremely weathered. If it is not soft enough, I shall pull the nest.

"♡ Incubation: 12-14 days. While they may sit on eggs occasionally during the egg laying period, "full-time" regular incubation doesn't start until all eggs are laid. They may wait about a week if weather is still cold. They may start incubating before the clutch is complete in warmer conditions. Hatching failure is highest during warmer conditions.

♡ Hatching: May occur over 24-48 (rarely 72 hours)

♡ Fledging: 16-21 days, typically 17-18. Occasionally a runt will fledge one or even two days later than the others. When they are first born, they look "a bit like hairy shrimp." Insect availability may speed up or delay fledging. If the box is empty in this time frame, the nest is flattened, and there is some fecal material (white) on the walls, it usually means fledging was successful. Once they leave the nest, bluebirds do not return to it. When the babies are 28 days old, they can fly well. They can feed themselves by Day 30."

High Rack

12 pointer
Dec 21, 2009
in the hills
Time for eggs to cook......Over easy 1 min per side, ensuring you have a hot skillet. Scrambled......3-4 minutes of continuous mixing, also ensuring a hot skillet. Omelette...You don't want skillet as hot as in prior ways, and depending on the ingredients, 2-3 minutes , then turn on one side for 2 minutes, flop onto other side for another 2 minutes or until your liking.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Lol, fluffy Otis is going to have to find his own birds.

Decided to simply caulk the shingle onto the box, with the "Through The Roof!" utilized earlier. Doubtful it will hold but should do through the potential rain, and then I can fiddle with the gun and insert the "Liquid Nails" tube. I hate fiddling with that gun, so much that I took it two doors down this morning, being that I was in a hurry and couldn't make it work...wasn't in the mood to fuss with it like a moron any longer.

Bluebirds went back around their box directly after all, and I guess one has entered. Have many other outdoor tasks to accomplish, at this point. I'll check on them later.

Latest posts