My Lovely Bluebirds

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Mission Fledglings Accomplished

20220630_200607.jpg

Cleaning and disinfecting the box is next. I searched but did not see any of the five baby bluebirds, nor their parents, which is good.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Maybe the dog got them

No, been keeping a very close eye upon all dogs and been using snacks with Brewster (don't usually use them). The bluebird parents typically take their fledglings away from the nest area (usually across the street) and then eventually return with those having survived. Landscapers arrive today. They do not get to start their engines, until I carefully walk the property ahead of them. They already know.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Removed old nests from all boxes yesterday afternoon and spied the adult male this morning, first time since nestlings fledged, entering and inspecting the box. Must quickly clean/disinfect all, so that the adult female can choose again.

thunderstorm

8 pointer
Dec 13, 2001
Removed old nests from all boxes yesterday afternoon and spied the adult male this morning, first time since nestlings fledged, entering and inspecting the box. Must quickly clean/disinfect all, so that the adult female can choose again.
What is the latest in the year we can expect bluebirds to nest here in KY?

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Their box has now been scrubbed down but remains slightly damp.

20220704_125852.jpg

Should be dry before too long, in these temperatures with today's lovely, high heat index.

20220704_125958.jpg

Mr. Bluebird supervised. Mr. English House Sparrow did the same. Battle will soon commence for it. While I still like much about the new ones, I prefer this old one to the new ones. The dimensions are smaller, and I read that those illegal aliens prefer the larger ones. I am going to make them smaller and refurbish this one.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Thanks. No need to research. I figured you may know without looking. Google says April- July normally, but sometimes into September.

I have had three broods successfully fledge within one season from here more than once and expect them to set-up house again fairly soon, for it all, especially since they experienced unknown issues the first time (believe her to be one of my youngins from last year, with that attempt having been her very first try... glad to learn both are productive).

Latest posts