Need help deciding

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
As some know I’m wanting a Hawken style flintlock muzzleloader. After several weeks of disappointing gun broker auctions I am getting cranky. These dang things are going for a lot more money than I would’ve imagined it. I’ve come down to two options. There is a old Thompson center Flintlock kit (year 1978) I can probably get my hands on for around 620 bucks. Of course that means I would be doing all the bluing, hand sanding and fitting myself which I wouldn’t mind but sometimes I get impatient And would hope I would keep the promise to myself to put the proper time in to make it a nice gun.

The second option, I have found brand new Traditions Hawken flintlocks at a little store in Pennsylvania for $460, Just take my word for it that is about $100 cheaper than anywhere else so after taxes and shipping would come out to around 540.

Just wondering what you guys think if you were in my shoes and being so indecisive do you think taking the time to build the old kit nicely would be worth it long term or would you just get the new traditions already put together ready to rock ‘n’ roll. I know the decisions up to me but dang That cheapskate side of me is always trying to save a dollar

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I would have to tackle the old kit.

Sounds like you already plan on not doing a good job on assembly, fit and finish. If that’s your plan then the best option may be to buy the new one.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Just in to addition to the last post, a used Thompson Center Hawken I am normally seeing sell anywhere from 500 to 700 bucks depending on condition/wood and the new traditions are priced 550+ shipping If you could find them in stock

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
Just in to addition to the last post, a used Thompson Center Hawken I am normally seeing sell anywhere from 500 to 700 bucks depending on condition/wood and the new traditions are priced 550+ shipping
Good thing to keep in mind on those prices. I have a Thompson 50 Hawken, mint condition, that will never be used. I was considering posting it for you but girlfriend talked me out of it. She knows I want it for a decoration above my fireplace. I thought prices were around $300 or so

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Good thing to keep in mind on those prices. I have a Thompson 50 Hawken, mint condition, that will never be used. I was considering posting it for you but girlfriend talked me out of it. She knows I want it for a decoration above my fireplace. I thought prices were around $300 or so

Is yours flint or percussion?

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
Buddy of mine just built this flintlock. He lives in PA. I'm trying to find out if it was a kit or what for ya, will let you know. It's a shooter too, he sent me some group pics and it was good for a flintlock.

IMG_0587.jpg

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I think one of those kits would be fun and something to be proud of, but I simply don’t have the time to put into doing it any time in next few years, and with my impatience I would have to buy the finished product. But one day I do plan to build a kit, just not while I have a 2 year old running around the house lol

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
If it were me I'd buy the one in PA 10/10 times. Cheaper and ready to rock. (Plus you can ask strangers, "What, you DON'T have a Hawken flintlock??".)

But if I'm spending someone else's time and money I like the idea of building the old kit.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
But one day I do plan to build a kit, just not while I have a 2 year old running around the house lol

It doesn’t get any easier on time, but you can involve them more when they are older.

I had to have a small child start a Glock front sight screw for me the other day. My fingers are too big to even grip them. They were pretty proud to be of service. Ha.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
You will have several hours in it to build one, I've built a couple and it wasn't hard but satisfying.
Bluing can turn out great or not so great depending on the metal.
But to me I think the factory bluing is so much superior.
If you buy a kit all you have to do is call and I will help you if you need it.

Latest posts