New Bow

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I have a hard time changing once i get comfortable with things. I still shoot a 2005 Mathews Outback. Ive been eyeballing a few new bows over the last several years. A few tempted me but Im finally going to pull the trigger. The Mathews VX3 29 has been talking to me. Anyone shot one yet?

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I have a hard time changing once i get comfortable with things. I still shoot a 2005 Mathews Outback. Ive been eyeballing a few new bows over the last several years. A few tempted me but Im finally going to pull the trigger. The Mathews VX3 29 has been talking to me. Anyone shot one yet?
Yessir. I'd advise to the 33 tho. It was very left to right tippy, being that short. Easily corrected with the right weights in the right places, tho. I hate short bows FWIW, but that little bow was worse than most in that respect. The 33 held like a target bow, very nice.
A fella can't go wrong with a new bow these days, though. They're all good anymore

NOCAMST

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
I have a brand new V3 31 and if your still shooting a outback you will be in awe after shooting a new V3. Undoubtedly the most forgiving bow I’ve ever shot. These new bows are super easy to shoot well. You can never go wrong with a Mathews. But I agree with meatstick don’t get the 29 at a minimum go with the 31. I’ve always liked longer axle to axle bows myself as well and the 31 is as short as I would go as well. I would have got the 33 but got a deal on a 31 I couldn’t pass up.

Oldrook

6 pointer
Jul 19, 2020
Soky
I have shot one at the bow shop. Very nice. So was the 33. 33 seemed almost like a target bow. I shoot a VXR28 with a Hamskea rest and it is extremely accurate. Go shoot both of them. It’s all personal opinion and your hunting style that really matters. I chose the shorter ata bow for weight savings for an old guy’s bad shoulder.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Yessir. I'd advise to the 33 tho. It was very left to right tippy, being that short. Easily corrected with the right weights in the right places, tho. I hate short bows FWIW, but that little bow was worse than most in that respect. The 33 held like a target bow, very nice.
A fella can't go wrong with a new bow these days, though. They're all good anymore
What’s your draw length? I’m a 28.5 and I think this impacts guys over 29 more than it does me (string geometry?)

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
What’s your draw length? I’m a 28.5 and I think this impacts guys over 29 more than it does me (string geometry?)
I prefer the longest bow possible. My draw is actually 31.5” but I have to adjust release to shoot 30.5” (max on my bow). I have a friend that draws 32.5 he hates everything. Lol.

%100 The longer your draw the funkier stuff gets on short bows.

keith meador

Got the Spotted Fever
Sep 18, 2003
Grindstone Branch, KY, USA.
I shot the Mathews and the Hoyt. I settled on the Hoyt Ventum 33. My suggestion is to shoot as many bows as you can lay your hands on, then make your decision. Most bow manufacturers are making quality bows these days.
Short ATA bows are great for tree stands, but add in a bit of difficulty for draw lengths over 27". The string angle and the distance from the eye to the peep sight get longer in the longer draw lengths. My new bow, at 33", is the shortest I've bought since the Phantom Magnum came out back in the late 90's or early 2000's.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Kid at Christmas
This thing is really neat.
6741B773-3725-46CB-BAE6-9653BFE3E346.jpeg
A618E797-95E9-4A98-851B-A383AD79E096.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldrook

6 pointer
Jul 19, 2020
Soky
Great. Now comes my favorite part of getting a new bow. Accessorizing. I think you will really like it. Christmas is just starting.