New Mexico Antelope Hunt

racsr

10 pointer
May 7, 2009
morgan county ky
Not on here as much as I use to be but heading out this Thursday to unit 38 just south of Vaughn, New Mexico to hunt antelope for a few days. It’s the first time for me hunting speed goats and never been to New Mexico.

My hunt is booked with Kiowa Hunting Service and on a private ranch known for trophy pronghorn. I’ll be hunting their first 3 day rifle antelope season beginning 13th and ending on the 15th. Already have my license, tag and most my crap packed ready to go. Figuring on two days drive to get there and two days drive back which hopefully will allow us to enjoy the trip and not push us too hard to get there or back.

I’m packing my Winchester model 70 in 30-06 on this hunt. Which I went back & forth on what rifle & caliber to take but just kept going back to the one I’m most comfortable and confident with. I’ve done quite a bit of shooting in preparation and good to about 300 yds.

Hopefully I can post a pic behind a good antelope buck soon but if I come home empty handed that’s ok too. Be a new experience and just going to enjoy the trip & hunt.
Wish you all the best enjoy and be safe God bless

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Yukon OK is my stopping point heading to NM. 10-11 hrs from marshall Co. Then 6-7 hrs the second day. Get there mid day or so. Time to get settled in and shoot the Winchester. Time changes when you cross into NM. You may see some pronghorn between Amarillo and the border. You'll see a wind turbine or two also.

Our halfway point for tomorrow is Oklahoma City…. so we’re pretty close to yours with Yucon. Which pending how tired of driving we are….we might try to get to the other side of Oklahoma City a ways to save a little travel time to Vaughn.

I’m going with a guy whose hunted mule deer and antelope a couple times with this outfitter. Antelope at Vaughn and mule deer in Mexico… so at least one of us is familiar with the route and expectations of the hunt.

Right now I’m on a learning curve…. being I think I know what a good antelope looks like but until I start glassing and judging them on the hoof … don’t really know what to expect. But being my first trip hunting them…. I’m not necessarily after a booner pronghorn. If the guide tells me it’s one we need put a stalk on…. I’m ready to go.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Our halfway point for tomorrow is Oklahoma City…. so we’re pretty close to yours with Yucon. Which pending how tired of driving we are….we might try to get to the other side of Oklahoma City a ways to save a little travel time to Vaughn.

I’m going with a guy whose hunted mule deer and antelope a couple times with this outfitter. Antelope at Vaughn and mule deer in Mexico… so at least one of us is familiar with the route and expectations of the hunt.

Right now I’m on a learning curve…. being I think I know what a good antelope looks like but until I start glassing and judging them on the hoof … don’t really know what to expect. But being my first trip hunting them…. I’m not necessarily after a booner pronghorn. If the guide tells me it’s one we need put a stalk on…. I’m ready to go.
I think pronghorn are really hard to score. Mass really matters. A mid 70s buck is a pretty good buck.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
I just heard from my Oklahoma friends who took 5 Hunters to near Clayton NM 2 days ago on an Antelope "safari."
All 5 killed Nice ones and are happy. I forget exactly how much they charge, but it's not something I would pay for. But. Have At It if you want a trophy.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
Good luck on your hunt. I really enjoy those antelope hunts. I went first two times guided with rifle and the last five was diy with a bow and killed each time on all seven hunts. Those rifle hunts are pretty fun and allow for some long range shots and you can be much more selective on the size. To me the fun of hunting them is you can hunt for them pretty much all day . Hope you took some good binos for all the glassing you will do.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Been a couple long days chasing antelope, making stalks & getting busted in this wide open country but finally connected.

325 yards… Winchester model 70 in 30-06.
2BA8BCEA-1960-410F-87AC-22850FEA7443.jpeg
4749383A-AAB2-4D21-AF0E-AE9F1F0C1329.jpeg
2E64B80B-8E2A-4C7D-AC9A-489833CD1B5D.jpeg
90D85AC0-B47B-4202-BA05-339D40D27261.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts