New Mexico Antelope Hunt

Coot_Meurer

10 pointer
Nov 4, 2006
Not here anymore
Congrats on the antelope. Sorry to hear of your family loss, but having had a grandmother and grandfather go with Alzheimer’s I fully understand your relief at them finally being free instead of trapped inside their own body.

How were the conditions in NM?

I just got back from a visit to my brothers (lives right on the Co/WY border). We had a difficult time finding many. This year they are actually steer than normal, with lots of green still evident in the non irrigated ground. We think it has really kept the antelope disbursed. We were hoping to do some pre pre scouting for a trip next year but that didn’t pan out. I did come home with a nice prairie rattler though

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
How were the conditions in NM?

I just got back from a visit to my brothers (lives right on the Co/WY border). We had a difficult time finding many. This year they are actually steer than normal, with lots of green still evident in the non irrigated ground. We think it has really kept the antelope disbursed. We were hoping to do some pre pre scouting for a trip next year but that didn’t pan out. I did come home with a nice prairie rattler though

I got lucky when the outfitter assigned guides and got the ranch owner Joseph Vacinte (Vacinte Ranch) and the friend I went with got one of his ranch hands. They had us on antelope within the first 30 minutes of day one. Which working their cattle they knew where the antelope were on the ranch.

But accordingly as good as we had it, I heard from some of the other guides they were struggling a little and said the antelope were really scattered across the ranch.

Back in April they were in drought conditions with some fires on public ground around that area. The ranch owner told me they were having to bring hay in early to feed the cattle. But he said since June they had gotten above average rains. Overall it was really green for this time of year in that area and may have contributed some to the antelope being more scattered than normal. Just more for them to eat and more water available.

Hunting tanks & water holes were not much of an option of being productive while we were there.

Latest posts