New study on turkeys going on now by Ky

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
With the ongoing decline in our turkey flocks and very little hope of improvement, sure do miss "Uncle George" Wright and his turkey knowledge and management recommendations.
Like "no all day hunting", "no hunting before mid April".
We pretty much do this 2nd recommendation now, closest to the 15th. Sometimes a day or so before and sometimes a day or so after.

Last edited:

Bee

10 pointer
Mar 14, 2005
The Wild Turkey symposium in Asheville in early June is sort of a rendezvous of all the US state biologists. The list of programs for five days is very impressive. Here is one days list of topics that are results of studies being done. Just FYI

2:30 PM - 4:00 PMReproductive Ecology
  • 2:30pm | Linking Movement Data to Nesting Behavior of Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) Hens in Florida
    Bobbi, Carpenter Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
  • 2:50pm | Developing a Predator Risk Gradient for Nesting Wild Turkeys
    Bret Collier, Louisiana State University
  • 3:10pm | How Prevalent is Brood Parasitism in Wild Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo)?
    Michael Chamberlain, University of Georgia
  • 3:30pm | Symposium Summary
    Chris Moorman
5:30 PM - 6:30 PMPoster Reception
  • Eastern wild turkey nesting chronology tracks temperature and precipitation, not spring green-up
    Wesley Boone, North Carolina State University
  • Evaluating camera trap analytical methods to estimate wild turkey abundance
    Byron Buckley, Louisiana State University
  • Evaluating the sensitivity of cloacal swabs as a minimally invasive method for viral detection in wild turkeys
    Stephanie Shea, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
  • Impacts of Periodical Cicada Emergence on Wild Turkey in Ohio
    Mark Wiley, Ohio Division of Wildlife
  • Spatial and temporal variation in survival of female wild turkeys
    David Moscicki, North Carolina State University
  • The Alabama Wild Turkey Project: overview of proposed research
    Matthew Day, Auburn University
  • Wild Turkey Gobbling in North Carolina. 2016-2021

cedar creek

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
The Wild Turkey symposium in Asheville in early June is sort of a rendezvous of all the US state biologists. The list of programs for five days is very impressive. Here is one days list of topics that are results of studies being done. Just FYI

2:30 PM - 4:00 PMReproductive Ecology
  • 2:30pm | Linking Movement Data to Nesting Behavior of Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) Hens in Florida
    Bobbi, Carpenter Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
  • 2:50pm | Developing a Predator Risk Gradient for Nesting Wild Turkeys
    Bret Collier, Louisiana State University
  • 3:10pm | How Prevalent is Brood Parasitism in Wild Turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo)?
    Michael Chamberlain, University of Georgia
  • 3:30pm | Symposium Summary
    Chris Moorman
5:30 PM - 6:30 PMPoster Reception
  • Eastern wild turkey nesting chronology tracks temperature and precipitation, not spring green-up
    Wesley Boone, North Carolina State University
  • Evaluating camera trap analytical methods to estimate wild turkey abundance
    Byron Buckley, Louisiana State University
  • Evaluating the sensitivity of cloacal swabs as a minimally invasive method for viral detection in wild turkeys
    Stephanie Shea, University of Maine Cooperative Extension
  • Impacts of Periodical Cicada Emergence on Wild Turkey in Ohio
    Mark Wiley, Ohio Division of Wildlife
  • Spatial and temporal variation in survival of female wild turkeys
    David Moscicki, North Carolina State University
  • The Alabama Wild Turkey Project: overview of proposed research
    Matthew Day, Auburn University
  • Wild Turkey Gobbling in North Carolina. 2016-2021
That would be interesting to listen to but probably over my head in lingo

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Zac is good people. He can't make F&W do the things his team states will assist the grouse in recovering. Many of the discoveries, and planned habitat work went by the way side when Beshear nocked the crap out of the dept budget. Funding is reqd and this governor has not helped anywhere except moving elk out of hunting areas to viewing areas and spent a ton of money on that. And all that $$ has done nothing for anyone but the tree huggers.
I agree. I met him once and though he wouldn’t remember me I remember some good points about habitat and some possible solutions to curb population decline he made to me and some others who were present. I wish him the best in his work.

cedar creek

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
How come the coons not eat goose eggs, geese are in very heavy numbers around my place? Turkey not so much, saw probably 40 little geese and few other groups past few days

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
How come the coons not eat goose eggs, geese are in very heavy numbers around my place? Turkey not so much, saw probably 40 little geese and few other groups past few days
Walk up on a goose nest and you'll find out why lol. Geese are very protective, meanass mothers, and rarely even leave the nest. Hen turkeys are the worst mothers I've ever seen.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
Walk up on a goose nest and you'll find out why lol. Geese are very protective, meanass mothers, and rarely even leave the nest. Hen turkeys are the worst mothers I've ever seen.
They are very protective. Unfortunately though within the last few weeks we had 2 geese that had 4 goslings on a small lake outside the office where I work, you couldn't hardly walk outside without getting hissed at, but now they're all gone and a big owl has been standing guard. I'd bet my life that he got all four of the little ones and mom and dad left.

Jmd

6 pointer
Sep 26, 2016
Fishing on Barkley and on one of the small islands watched a coon get too close to a goose nest. Bad news for the coon , ended up getting into the lake and swimming away.

EasyE

Spike
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
I took a survey a few years ago and they asked for suggestions on reducing doe numbers while also improving the chances of buck survival to maturity. My suggestion was to get a buck tag you have to harvest a doe. I’d say do the same thing with turkey tags. 1 coyote 2 tags. 1 coon 1 tag. 3 opossum 1 tag or something like that. Can’t do anything about the weather but the predators we can. I’m glad we got the recent rains but it could’ve cost some poults.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I took a survey a few years ago and they asked for suggestions on reducing doe numbers while also improving the chances of buck survival to maturity. My suggestion was to get a buck tag you have to harvest a doe. I’d say do the same thing with turkey tags. 1 coyote 2 tags. 1 coon 1 tag. 3 opossum 1 tag or something like that. Can’t do anything about the weather but the predators we can. I’m glad we got the recent rains but it could’ve cost some poults.
I made a similar suggestion. Give a second buck tag after two does. Second buck must have more points than first.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I walked up on a nesting goose frog gigging this year. She hissed like crazy and never moved. I gave her a wide margin. The male was in the pond and was very irritated. Lol. I wanted nothing to do with them. I’ve seen them tear into people on golf courses.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I made a similar suggestion. Give a second buck tag after two does. Second buck must have more points than first.
Shock but people call in kills when they haven't killed anything to get the bonus tag. Happened in the state I previously lived in. I think they did away with that due to being ineffective.

Latest posts