No Till Drill and Roller Crimper Food Plot Planting

Rob7

6 pointer
Oct 18, 2004
Been watching quite a few Grant Woods videos on Growing Deer TV. Here is a recent one.
https://www.growingdeer.tv/#/inexpensive-and-super-productive-food-plots-for-whitetails
They really promote planting a blend of seeds using a No Till Drill in conjunction with a Roller Crimper and not discing, not using chemicals, not plowing.
Anyone have any experience doing this? Theoretically it sounds great with the exception of the investment of the equipment to do it. Thinking maybe you can rent the No Till Drill, not sure about a Roller Crimper or what could work as a good substitute. Simply looking for any input or information on this technique.

NOCAMST

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
I’ve watched a lot of his stuff as well I don’t see why you couldn’t just bushog instead of crimp it will still make mulch which is why he crimps.

keeruss8

6 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
You should be able to rent no till drill at your county extension office. Local co-op or feed store may have one also. Our county is $7 an acre or $50 minimum. Couple directions with a cultipacker would probably do the job

kyduck1

8 pointer
Apr 9, 2012
I’ve watched a lot of his stuff as well I don’t see why you couldn’t just bushog instead of crimp it will still make mulch which is why he crimps.

I think that main idea is that it forms a mat vs scattering it. Plus the plants still have moisture in them so it creates almost a mini green house effect.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
Depending on size I got a 4' yard roller that is metal at TSC and welded angle iron to it fill it with water and it does an ok job of crimping. depending what you are crimping you will still need to spray to kill it somethings crimp easier than others. 4 wheeler would barely pull it. you can also use the tires on a truck or side by side but takes a lot of passes to get it mashed down. and will need to spray because you arent getting a good crimp on the stems that way

Gforcetrivers

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2016
Burkesville
You should be able to rent no till drill at your county extension office. Local co-op or feed store may have one also. Our county is $7 an acre or $50 minimum. Couple directions with a cultipacker would probably do the job

Wanda at the Conservation District office in Burkesville has a drill and sprayer. Also check the Extension Office.

EasyE

Spike
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
If I remember correctly, Mr Grant Woods was specifically talking about cremping cereal grains, and the timing has to be right. I believe the cereal grain has to be in the stage of making seed heads. Great shows though, definitely worth watching. He seems like a real likable guy.