Pond drilling

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
Anybody ever used someone to drill and concrete or grout as some call it to fix a pond that won’t hold?

Looking for someone to come take a look at a pond in Lexington.

NOCAMST

6 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
Anybody ever used someone to drill and concrete or grout as some call it to fix a pond that won’t hold?

Looking for someone to come take a look at a pond in Lexington.
From my experience best money you can spend on a leaking pond is a dozer to fill it in. Very seldom do they end up holding and you will end up with a fortune in the same old leaky pond

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
Is the pond on level ground or does it have banks?

If you have banks , walk around the outside and look for leaking at the water level in the pond. You can dig thta out and repack the leak and sometimes it will seal a pond.
If it is bone dry all the way to the bottom then you may have to get a pond liner.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Is the dam leaking or is there a sinkhole in the bed? I would take on a leaky dam with confidence.

Plugging a whole in the bed or lining it would have to be cheap enough that i could stomach the loss, and id be operating under the assumption that the fix probably wont work.

Last edited:

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
Is the dam leaking or is there a sinkhole in the bed? I would take on a leaky dam with confidence.

Plugging a whole in the bed or lining it would have to be cheap enough that i could stomach the loss, and id be operating under the assumption that the fix probably wont work.

It’s leaking at bottom appears to be straight down. Nothing through dam or sides.

Ezelkyhunter

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2013
Probably following a rock ledge or roots. Is the pond fresh dug/ cleaned?
It old and never held above current level. We cleaned out repacked etc and i swear it’s to the same footprint of where water stayed for last years prior to our work. I suspect it’s hitting a rock seam but dang if we can’t find. It’s probably a 1/3 acre hole 4 foot deep.

I wish I could get bulk bentonite but can’t locate same anywhere except Texas and Wyoming

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
It old and never held above current level. We cleaned out repacked etc and i swear it’s to the same footprint of where water stayed for last years prior to our work. I suspect it’s hitting a rock seam but dang if we can’t find. It’s probably a 1/3 acre hole 4 foot deep.

I wish I could get bulk bentonite but can’t locate same anywhere except Texas and Wyoming
I say in your area there is probably a lot of shell rock , I am guessing that one.

Does it hold some water or is it totally dry?
Does it have a dam?
One way to see the leak is greener grass where the leak is or roundup around the outside bank and watch for wet spots.
Picture would help.

bbfky10ga

Fawn
Jul 27, 2004
If you know where it is leaking you can try a product called aquablok you can buy it in 2500# totes from https://www.fostersupply.com/ Regular bentonite won‘t seal a hole been there done that. If it isn’t too large you can try a couple of polymers check out the pond boss forum there are some experts over there. Best fix is to bring good clay in and reline it. I’ve been fighting a couple of holes in rock veins for several years. Even with concrete the water will find away around the concrete and into the rock. Finally excavated a 40 ft hole this year and packed it with clay. Ponds and rocks don’t mix well I’m lucky my leak was in the side so once the water got down below a certain level it hold but I sure hope it holds max when we get another big gully washer.

Gforcetrivers

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2016
Burkesville
My lawn guy came by the other day and mentioned that when his Daddy used to do pond work and they had a leaky one they would put bundles of newspapers in the bottom! Also I read that when you line the pond with clay something else needs to go over it so that the clay doesnt mobilize into the water. Makes sense.

Poorboy

8 pointer
Feb 23, 2005
under the bank
I've had cows seal one off from leaking. The clay wasn't the greatest, but the compaction worked. Friend sealed one with hogs.
Another one I ended up hauling in clay and lining the area just below the water level up, sealed that up enough to isolate the worst leak area, dug through and repacked. One pond hit a rock layer when being dug and packed it best I could and it has a slow leak. Another problem area is around drainage pipes, they are a weak spot and can eventually let water erode around them.
If the grass is short around the pond, one thing I have done is after a hard rain that filled up the pond above the normal holding level is to pour in pond dye around the suspected area and watch for water escaping that was blue.

HeadedWest

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2016
Shew…Math on that one is scary.

1.5 Ton/1300$

AF5682F8-2F03-463C-BD1A-F480AE84C28C.jpeg

Latest posts