Pond drilling

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Is bentonite a compound that will stay in forever or does it dissipate over time?
If applied properly it's a forever thing. I researched this a year or so ago. Determine what type of soil then go to a chart that shows lbs/sf of bentonite to be applied. Disk or till into the soil. Compact the soil. For optimum results, then apply layer of bentonite across pond bottom then cover with dirt. As G said, if the bentonite is not covered, over time it will lose its effectivness. It was going to be an expensive proposition for us to expand our mudhole to 1/4 acre. We have creek stone not far below the surface. When the knee deep water warms up a bit, I'm going to wade out with a probe to see how far down the stone is.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
If you have pond questions Pondboss.com is a good resource.

Bentonite as I've seen used in pond building is when they are compacting with a sheepshead roller they layer with bentonite and compact it with the sheepshead and that gets it into the layers. Most I've seen done they do that throughout the stages if you bring in clay, they will roll some into the clay layer as they compact it. Stuff works great from what I've seen.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Go to local soil office and get soil map of your land. It will tell you if your soil is suitable for a pond. If it aint, your wasting your money. Also check for sinkholes any where near the site, that means caves, also probably a waste of money. Just because you want a pond dont mean you can have one. Theres a reason you dont see ponds on fertile level crop land, good fertile loose soil aint worth a damn for impounments. You need clay, and no caves

Latest posts